Aiport Extreme to extend network - issues

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by cperry, Aug 20, 2015.

1. cperry macrumors newbie

cperry

I have ATT Uverse internet. We have an old house iwth plaster walls and need extenderes. About 1.5-2 years ago I got the 2 expresses. Then the internet lagged a lot. ATT kept denying. So about 1 yr ago got an airport extreme and set it up. Helped a little bit. Finally got ATT out and got a new faster modem. As I reset up the network I get conflicts (think it was the extreme). The ATT network works great but again need the extenders. So I reset all devices (factory) and just added the expresses with the "extend a network choice". Works great. Now want to add the extreme in but as a network extender (like the expresses) not a new network or replace a network. It will not - even though I have the choices - it just pops back to create a new network. I have resetna dn restarted everything and same thing. I am not too techy but get basics.
    Thoughts?
    Thanks

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

An AirPort can only wirelessly extend another AirPort's network.

3. cperry thread starter macrumors newbie

cperry

Sorry that does not make sense to me. There are three options for set up..... Create a new network, replace an exisiting network or extend a network. The expresses let me select extend a network and the extreme show the options but does not let me select extend a network it just defaults back to create a new network after I select the radio button for extend a network..., off of my AT&T modem.

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

The Expresses are not supposed to be showing that option at all and I am surprised that they do. What I would do is set the AT&T modem into bridge mode and use the Extreme as the router. Then extend the Expresses off of that.