iPad Air 1 or Air 2 advice

Discussion in 'iPad' started by charlievb, Mar 23, 2016.

1. charlievb macrumors newbie

Firstly, thanks for taking the time to help me out.

I have just been offered a second hand 16GB iPad Air 1 for pretty cheap (£170). In comparison the iPad Air 2 (second hand) is going for about (£250).

Money isn't a huge issue but my question is whether I need to spend the extra (£80) given my requirements.

My first Q is, do Apple maintain software updates for legacy devices (the Air 1 is now 18 months out of date), or will I find the Air 1 unsupported in a year's time.

My current requirements are a 10" tablet, that I plan to have for the next 12-18 months that can enable me to:

1. Browse the internet
    2. Check e-mails
    3. Track live news/finance data with apps
    4. Stream TV shows
    5. Play the occasional game (low graphics intense)
    6. Watch/store a few HD films on the device (for when travelling)

2. Grolubao macrumors 65816

Grolubao

If you care about multitasking, buy the iPad Air 2, otherwise the 1 is just fine

3. ACG12 macrumors 6502a

Spend the extra and go Air 2. The extra RAM and faster processor are worth it.

4. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

In the interest of longevity I'd suggest paying the extra for the iPad Air 2. Double the RAM, better CPU, better camera -- for £80 you get a lot more reassurance that it won't slow down with newer OS iterations, and that it's an investment more likely to last.

5. mfm77 macrumors member

mfm77

Yeah, I have an Air 1 but still would tell you to buy the Air 2 for the extra RAM and the multitasking support alone.