Air 11 - mid 2012 disk is dead

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by simonsev, Aug 19, 2013.

1. simonsev macrumors newbie

simonsev

Two days ago my Macair gave grey screen and gearwheel on startup and refused to boot, finally after multiple restart attempts gave it a cmd - R on startup and disk was a mass of errors, repair disk finally fixed these after 4 solid attempts but there were some strange issues after it all started up again, no sound in some programs or on the keyboard and wifi dropdown showed menus in programming script.

Took it into the apple people in Dubai and they checked it out in detail and decided it needed a system install which I agreed, 99% into the install it stopped and showed errors in install.

Restart showed the SSD as being 33kb and that was it, gone, fried..:mad:

Really not happy as this is my first mac and I love it, especially portability and ease of use and even like osx after a lifetime of Windows so am in the process of getting it fixed so will see how we go, I hope this is a one off as seeing as how the machine is so well made a robust I had hoped internals would be similar quality, I know they are the same as we use in PC's but even so........

One thing I did, as I also use a windows laptop for work, was change my way of working slightly away from reliance on backups so that I keep all files on Dropbox and all emails on google or other cloud servers and can therefore access anything anytime on either machine or the Android phone. This means I can continue on without worrying on lost info, I also still do backups 3 times a week so have a 1 day old time machine backup waiting for the new disk, again lucky.

Anyway just wanted to rant a little, still love the mac idea but am now a little more wary of thinking they are that much better than PC's and the morale of the story, do not rely on only one machine for file storage!

2. magbarn macrumors 68000

There's a sudden rash of ssd failures lately with these 2012 MBAs. Yours is a 128gb drive. I wonder if its a toshiba sandforce ssd issue as that was the most common 128gb ssd model. Anyways, if Apple won't do a goodwill repair, you can always get a used ssd replacement or buy a new one from OWC. Unfortunately, OWC uses sandforce controller also which I don't trust.

3. simonsev thread starter macrumors newbie

simonsev

Yes it is Toshiba 128 and the computer is only 8 months old (since I bought it/registered it in January) so apple Dubai said no problem on warranty replacement which I will do and then would like to keep that in reserve and do an OWC 480GB upgrade.

Service guys also said it was their 3rd case of this happening in the last 3 months, I guess not many seeing as how many macairs are out there but really not happy that a 8 month old machine goes down because of crappy SSD build.

4. magbarn macrumors 68000

I really wish OWC used a Marvell controller or Samsung controller (the 2013 MBA's only use these 2 controllers, thankfully they dropped Sandforce drives) which IMHO are much more reliable. Just bitter after having Sandforce drives fail on me whilst my Marvell/Samsung/Intel SSD's have never had a crash.

5. josephquinn macrumors newbie

josephquinn

I think OWC with sandforce controllers like OWC Mercury Electra 6G is brilliant especially for MBP. I had been recommended this by one of my tech friend & believe there has been no looking back on this piece of hardware! I would surely opt for sandforce based SSD in case i plan to upgrade at a later stage.

6. simonsev thread starter macrumors newbie

simonsev

Well just had news this morning that it is fixed and waiting for me to pick it up which I can do tomorrow, all fixed and checked under warranty by the Apple store people in Riyadh so good quick service, now to see if it is all running properly............................and a 480GB unit from OWC on the way..:D..will install that and keep the new 128 in the OWC enclosure they provide with the kit as the backup disk. Very interested to see how the OWC unit performs.