Air '13 Display: dark at bottom

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Phonzel, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Phonzel macrumors newbie

Hi!

I'm really happy with my 13" Air ('13), but there's one issue:
    The bottom of the display has a dark gradient.
    I know, it's not an IPS panel, but I think this is far from normal TN panels.
    It is quite hard to show in a picture, but I tried to.. Pen is only there to blur pixel-moirée.

Is this a common issue?

Attached Files:

2. NewbieToMacs macrumors newbie

Seems perfectly fine to me. Just my opinion though.

3. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

This is 'normal' for MacBook Air displays. I'd estimate at least 19 out of 20 MBA's have this. I've only seen one that didn't have it in a significant way.

I wondered about this myself so I went to my local Apple store. Every single MacBook Air, both the 11" and 13" had the same gradient. It's there on the top too but it's not as noticeable because of the menu bar.

It must be the price of such as thin display. The thin display also must have something to do with why the bezel is so wide though this is just a guess.

Far more concerning is the ~3-4cm screen darkening shaped like a diagonal flame that starts from the bottom corners and points towards the middle of the display. I've seen quite a few MBA's with this problem.

4. teffers macrumors regular

Been through 5x units (for other faults) and they all had it.

You'll learn to ignore it, well I have but I don't use a lot of full screen, white backgrounded apps.

5. wolfpuppies3 macrumors 6502

6. AXs macrumors 6502a

AXs

7. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

Then you are lucky ;) I'd love to see photos of the bottoms of your displays. I've only seen one MBA that had this 'problem' only slightly. But after a while you get used to it.

8. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

holy hell, forget the gradient - there's a giant pen logged in the middle of it.

talk about missing the forest for the trees:p

take it to the store - see if the floor models do it too. if they don't or don't do it as bad, demonstrate that to the genius and ask for a replacement.

9. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

I've owned 6 Airs, and every one has this "feature". I suspect it's a limitation of the LED gradient vs. the thinness of the screen. It has been present on every Air I've ever seen (many dozens). You will not notice it for long.

10. Acronyc macrumors 6502

My 2010 11" MBA had this issue, but it didn't really bother me as I didn't run many full screen apps with a white background. That's the only time I really noticed it.

11. thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

I enjoy it, like a good thriller. It keeps me on the edge

12. jadAce macrumors regular

jadAce

:) That reminds me of a thread made here some time ago about a scratch someone got on the MBA cover.

For some (strange?) reason, I do not see any thing like that on my display. But because so many people see it, it must be something quite common.

13. MaulRx Suspended

Nothing like that on either of the MBAs I've had.

14. lamboman macrumors 6502

First thing I noticed on mine, but not something that bothers me (seen it before on some other machines).

You can try for a swap but don't necessarily expect to get anything better, as the others have said. Certainly not going to swap mine.

Also worth noting it depends on the angle you look at it. You look at it head-on, it mostly goes away. Look at it from a normal viewing angle at full screen and you'll notice it. Probably just a limitation of the display within the form factor.

15. halledise macrumors 65816

Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    not normal, old chap, faulty panel.
    I had same issue on a previous Rev 13" Air - sent it back and the next one that came was as it should be.

16. vicynic macrumors member

Probably all or most panels have this, but not everyone is able to notice it under certain viewing conditions. I notice it a bit on mine as well, but I instinctively knew it was the nature of the screen/technology and not a defect.