iPad Air 2 anti-reflective coating question: dust and color haze?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by l.i. bruce fan, Dec 11, 2014.

1. l.i. bruce fan macrumors member

Is it just me or does the anti-reflective coating on the new iPad Air 2 seem to attract or show more dust and fingerprints that prior iPads with the oleophobic coating?

Also, it seems to cast a slight purplish haze over the screen when the screen is off and under certain lights (I have some highats with LED bulbs and that's where I notice this).

Anybody else?

2. Closingracer macrumors 68000

I don't notice a difference imo . This is my 2nd iPad and only had the first Air for 3 months for what's it's worth

3. Richdmoore macrumors 65832

Richdmoore

Yes, it has a slight purple color when off, but it is like some camera lenses I have owned in the past. It probably shows fingerprints a little bit more when the secret is off, but it's not like my iPad 3rd gen didn't show any fingerprints either.

When the screen is on, there is no odd colors, and probably shows fingerprints a tiny bit less than the iPad 3rd gen.

4. bushido Suspended

bushido

yes and i hate it, i had an iPad 3 before and all i see is fingerprints on my iPad Air 2 and its also harder to "slide" with your finger over the screen, it seems more sticky? i bought a screen protector now and its sorta back to the old way

5. l.i. bruce fan thread starter macrumors member

It's just weird or more noticeable to me as I removed the screen protector I had on my iPad 3 a few weeks ago as I could not stand the fingerprints and scratches on its any more and was pleasantly surprised that the oleophobic screen coating did a surprisingly good job resisting fingerprints and dust.

Then I traded in my 3rd gen for the Air 2 and hesitated putting on a screen protector and noticed the color haze, dust and fingerprints.

I wouldn't say I hate it, but I was surprised.

Will probably put on the screen protector I already purchased as I really am uncomfortable with nothing on there, but I'm hoping it won't diminish the anti-glare effect, I use an app while I coach my kids soccer teams and it was tough to see the screen on the iPad 3 in the sun. I took the Air 2 out into the sunlight the other day and was very pleasantly surprised how much better it is in direct sunlight. Little worried that a screen protector will cancel out the gain, but we'll see...

----------

I was also expecting the Air 2 screen (when off) to look more like my iPhone 6 Plus screen which is almost as black as the bezel, which is another reason it was noticeable to me. I guess the iPhone did not get the anti-glare coating that the Air 2 received.

6. thinAir macrumors newbie

I don't see more fingerprints on my Air 2 than on my Air 1.
    According to the tech specs, the Air 2 still has Fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating as well.

7. TheZhu macrumors newbie

8. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I have had every iPad and the Air2 does not look or feel any different than the others.

9. matraco macrumors regular

Would this be true compared to a first gen Air/mini2?

10. bushido Suspended

bushido

it makes more smudges that look like "shadows?". hard to explain

11. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Mine smudges too, but all of my devices have to a point. I just wipe it down once a day or so and all is good.

12. l.i. bruce fan thread starter macrumors member

The fingerprints, smudges and dust is not like a "sea change" from my iPad 3, just more, when I expected less.

The color haze when the screen is off or the LED bulbs from my highats reflect off the screen is definitely new to me...

13. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I hope you get used to it. The Air 2 is really great hardware. Not going to make everyone happy and especially if you keep up with these forums. :rolleyes:

14. bevsb2 macrumors 65816

I don't notice any more fingerprints on my Air 2 than the Air 1, but it does seem to attract more dust or in my case pet fur.

15. l.i. bruce fan thread starter macrumors member

I think you're right, this forum is great but it only exacerbates my OCD...

16. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Nothing wrong with pet fur!

Lots of good information here. You just need to filter out the best and the worst as the truth is somewhere in the middle.

17. bevsb2 macrumors 65816

Agree - just prefer to keep it off my iPad. :D