iPad Air 2 Barometer?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by chumps52, Oct 29, 2014.

1. chumps52 macrumors regular

I was looking through the iPad page and saw that the Air 2 now has a barometer... I was just wondering what the use/advantages of the inclusion of this were (mainly for daily use)?

[​IMG]

2. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

A barometer measures air pressure.

It basically measures it's height during the day, allows you to see how many flights of stairs you have gone up or down for example.

It makes more sense on the iPhone 6, but it's just another sensor that allows the iPad to be more aware of it's surroundings.

3. chumps52 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, I knew what it did I just didn't know the kinda "practical" application of it in an iPad. Thanks for the info!

4. mdridwan47 macrumors 6502

mdridwan47

5. valdigre macrumors member

No.

6. mdridwan47, Oct 30, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2014

mdridwan47 macrumors 6502

mdridwan47

Air 2 Barometer?

Compass?

7. marcosscriven macrumors regular

Just to be pedantic, it measures changes in height rather than absolute, only because so many other things affect air pressure.

So it can count flights of steps climbed, because it assumes the slight reduction in air pressure in a relatively short time was due to you going higher, rather than the temperature increasing.

Potentially if it had access to very precise pressure levels for a specific height in your area, it could give you an absolute height using the barometric formula: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barometric_formula