Carrier Air 2 has only one universal cellular option?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Newtons Apple, Oct 17, 2014.

1. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I notice when I ordered my Air 2 that when I picked wiFi and Cellular, it was no longer carrier specific. That must mean the installed SIM card can work for ALL the carriers, including Verizon.

This is new.:)

2. DoofenshmirtzEI macrumors 6502a

DoofenshmirtzEI

No, Verizon declined to sign on with the universal SIM, if you want to go with them, you have to get a SIM from them.

3. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

Why doesn't that surprise me.

4. Newtons Apple thread starter Suspended

Newtons Apple

That is going to tick off some Verizon users.

What size SIM cards are the new Air 2 using now. Will my AT&T SIM card from my Air 1 work in it?

5. DoofenshmirtzEI macrumors 6502a

DoofenshmirtzEI

Probably, but you won't need it, since AT&T will happily use the universal SIM. An AT&T SIM won't work for Verizon if that's what you're asking.

6. Newtons Apple thread starter Suspended

Newtons Apple

No, I am using an Air 1 with AT&T cellular. The Air 2 will be replacing it.

7. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

A sim? Or a Verizon based ipad? From what I understood the internal LTE circuitry is CDMA for Verizon and GSM for the others. I could be incorrect, this is all new.

8. screensaver400 macrumors 6502a

All LTE iPads in the US had identical hardware starting with the iPad Air last year. They all supported every network, in theory. However, you were forced to choose a carrier when you purchased the device. That's because they were pre-loaded with SIM cards for the carrier you selected, and because certain carriers (Verizon and Sprint in the US) maintain databases of "approved" devices, based on the device's ESN. For example, you could use a Verizon iPad with T-Mobile and AT&T, but not with Sprint. You could use an AT&T iPad with T-Mobile, but not Verizon and Sprint. And so on...

Now, it looks like every iPad Air 2 (in the US, at least) will be included in the Verizon and Sprint databases, and you'll be able to access 3 of the 4 networks with a single SIM card.

9. aneftp macrumors 601

IPad Air 2 will work on Any of the big 4 carriers. They are one model and universal.

I can use my already activated Verizon LTE sim in an ATT iPad Air 1 as well and it will work.

So the air 2 is the same.