iPad Air 2 horrible performance with iOS 11

Discussion in 'iPad' started by kvyoung, Sep 27, 2017.

1. kvyoung macrumors member

I upgraded iOS on my iPad Air 2 128 GB LTE and the performance is terrible. Long delays and overall a really negative experience. Are others seeing this same thing or should I be doing a clean install? I hate to lose all my settings and programs but this is really painfull. On my Gen 1 iPP 12.9 iOS 11 performs great but not so on the Air 2.

2. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Been running iOS 11 on my Air 2 since the first public beta.

I’m very happy with performance.

3. kvyoung thread starter macrumors member

Just noticed the other thread about Air 1 performance after iOS 11 and most say it is fine but the odd person talks about reverting back to 10 because of performance problems. Would be nice to narrow this down to why some are performing well and others are not.

Did you do a standard upgrade on your Air 2? What are your Air 2 specs and free storage space?

4. vintagebob macrumors regular

vintagebob

5. fel10 macrumors 68000

fel10

Running on my pro here and I must say, there are stutters. Especially when I close an app. It’s kind of annoying.

6. nightlong macrumors 6502a

nightlong

My AIR2 is running well on 11. I always do this after updating ... do a hard restart after the update, then turn it off (normal turn off) and on again after 24 hours, giving it time to index etc.

7. sparksd macrumors 68000

My Air 2 is running mostly very well on iOS 11 and though I do see occasional stuttering I would not say I see performance problems. I did a standard update, not a clean install. My 128GB LTE has about 20GB free.

8. newellj macrumors 603

I'd say the same, but what I have got is nowhere near what the OP describes, nothing like "horrible."

9. ericwn macrumors 68000

And what benefits does this hard reboot give you and where are they documented? And why shut if off after a day? It doesn’t make sense to me.

10. Leo90 macrumors 6502

Same thing here on my iPad Pro, and I did a clean install. OP, just wait for corrections by Apple in the next few iOS11 updates. Unfortunately Apple has been a bit lenient with their software quality control recently but they will fix it for sure.

11. EdwardC macrumors regular

EdwardC

12. Woodcrest64 macrumors 65816

Woodcrest64

Mine was slow for the first day and a bit due to indexing. Now its running like a champ. No issues.

13. gobikerider Suspended

gobikerider

That is what happened on my Pro as well, it wasn't just little stutters it was big and really irritating, not to mention an app I rely on wasn't even compatible with iOS 11 or Safari 11 (I couldn't log in at all) Performance was define I mean things loaded in normal and quick, but overall experience was too much of a step back compared to the stutter/bug free envirment of iOS 10.3.3. (I kinda feel like this is OSX Snow Leapord for my iPad, iOS 10 works flawlessly)

14. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

My Air 2 works fine on IOS 11. Some sutters here and there but overall its smooth.

The Air 2 is from 2014, you cant expect top notch performance from it, especially with 2gb of ram and all the new multitasking.

15. gobikerider Suspended

gobikerider

The iPad Air 2 is still more powerful (gpu wise) then the newer "iPad" it remains to be seen when it will have any noticeable "slow down from an iOS update. Let's be real by iOS 11.3.XXX iPad Air 2 and newer iPads are going to perform flawlessly on iOS 11, okay maybe not the mini 4 considering it has the gimped A8 gpu powering the full iPad resolution.

16. rui no onna macrumors 603

rui no onna

Air 2 (A8X) and 2017 iPad 9.7 (A9) are pretty comparable GPU-wise. Note the iPhone 6S scores. That said, it's keeping up quite well despite its age. Imho, Air 2 is pretty much when processing power reached the "good enough" stage in terms of iPads at the given resolution.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/10286/the-97-ipad-pro-review/2

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. gobikerider Suspended

gobikerider

I have looked into this and am surprised to see how equivalent they are at least in a benchmarks sense. I need to find the video but the iPad Air 2 exported a 4K video significantly quicker then the "new" iPad was able to. Here it is skip to 3:09 seconds to see what I speak of.

18. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

Air 2 has some advantges vs the iPad 2017. Its thinner and the screen is better.

That being said, the iPad 2017 is priced very nicely for somone looking to get an iPad for the first time.

Heck my job purchased around 5 just because...

19. rui no onna macrumors 603

rui no onna

Video encoding is one of the few tasks that benefit very well from multi-core. That said, I'm curious if the Air 2 and 2017 iPad used in the video had the same storage capacities.

20. Spudlicious macrumors 6502

Spudlicious

My Air 2 seems fine on iOS 11. Curious why some are seeing issues.

21. BugeyeSTI macrumors 68020

BugeyeSTI

My Air2 is working great on ios11. A few stutters here and there but, those will get smoothed out with updates. I did a normal ota update, no fresh install...

22. gobikerider Suspended

gobikerider

Schools should upgrade from when they all bought the iPad 4 in bulk
    --- Post Merged, Sep 28, 2017 ---
    Your right good I didn't think about the storage difference.

23. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

After you upgrade to iOS 11, your device may be slow for a while. Besides re-indexing, the Photos app needs to analyze your photos using Machine Learning.
    Give it a chance to finish its work, and performance should be good.
    I also have an iPad Air 2 running iOS 11.0.1

24. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

Wow. That’s surprising since the Air 2 was an upgrade to the original Air which I have and version 11 runs quite well on it.

25. newellj macrumors 603

What happens when you do the five-finger app minimization gesture? Both my Air 2 and Mini 4 stutter.