Air 2 screen not responding to touch

Discussion in 'iPad' started by got556, Dec 14, 2016.

1. got556 macrumors 6502

got556

My son's Air 2 128GB is not responding to touch. First truly faulty Apple product, may be in the works here...

It was on 10.1.1 and he was watching Youtube on it. He has a terrible habbit of leaving it running while he is doing something else. Battery ended up dying. So I start to charge it up and he says it's frozen. I take a look at it and the screen turns on and rotates fine, sound works fine, buttons/home button work fine. Do multiple hard restarts (home and power button), to no avail.

DFU to 10.2....no luck, still no response to touch. Any ideas? Scoured google and every other site looking for possible answers. Out of warranty through Apple btw.

ETA: Removed case and tempered glass protector also...debating whether I want to open this thing up and check the cables...

2. Shirtin macrumors member

Try powering down and also hard reset (home and power button). Maybe you cn restore using itunes on the computer?

3. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

Take it to Apple. If there's no physical damage, they still might fix or replace it for you even though it's out of warranty. They're pretty good about that.

4. got556 thread starter macrumors 6502

got556

Yep, exactly what I did. Replaced it, no questions asked. Told them it was 14 days out of warranty, they looked at it briefly, and said, we'll get you a new one. Or refurbished I should say, but either way I was happy and my son almost cried he was so happy. I thought he was going to hug the tech when they said that. Yesterday is a perfect example of why I continue to buy Apple products, even if I can't look past their faults sometimes and refuse to be blinded by fanboi behavior.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 16, 2016 ---
    I had done all of the above already. Odd that there is really nothing on the internet about touch not working on the Air 2, yet the screen still lights up and works. Maybe it was a cable that was loose, but as previously said, I was going to give Apple a chance before I attempted to open it up.

5. HowToSimply macrumors newbie

Check your touchscreen

Try these steps:
    If you have a case or screen protector on your device, try removing it.
    Clean the screen with a soft, slightly damp, lint-free cloth.

Unplug your device

Restart your device. If you can't restart it, you can force restart your device.
    If your touchscreen still doesn't respond like it should, contact Apple Support or take your device to an Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider.
    Adjust your settings for 3D Touch

If you have an iPhone 6s or later that isn't responding properly to 3D Touch presses, you can adjust the settings:
    Go to Settings > General.
    Tap Accessibility > 3D Touch.
    Then adjust the sensitivity of the setting.