Air 2 Smart Cover and iPad Pro 9.7"

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by Lostanddamned, Apr 3, 2016.

1. Lostanddamned macrumors 6502a

Lostanddamned

I’ve chosen blue accessories for my iPad 2, new iPad, and mini retina, Apple Watch, iPhone 4, 4S, 6 and 6S. And now the iPad Pro 9.7” doesn’t have that same shade of blue. Disaster!

What I would like to know is, given that the Pro is virtually identical in size to the Air 2, how do the Smart Covers for the Air 2 fit on the pro?

Thanks guys!

2. jgelin macrumors 6502a

jgelin

The magnets on the smart cover of the air 2 will be opposite those on the Pro making it push away from what I have read, rather than the pull together we would want.

Need to get a PRO branded cover.

3. Lostanddamned thread starter macrumors 6502a

Lostanddamned

I was hoping someone would have first hand knowledge though…

4. jgelin macrumors 6502a

jgelin

That's reading someone on here who did. Sooo take that for how you want.

5. HiItsMe macrumors 6502

Yes, they are not compatible. Physically the cover fits on but it doesn't stick to the iPad surface so closing it won't sleep,the iPad and opening won't wake it up. It also just kind of flaps around creating no real protection and defeating it's purpose. I wonder if Apple has some technical reason for the change, or just wanted more case sales...

6. nlkccom macrumors 6502a

I have both iPad Air 2 and Pro 9.7. I tried putting the Smart Cover for the Air 2 on the Pro 9.7, although the size is very similar, the magnet in the Pro 9.7 is configured differently than the Air 2. The magnet in the Pro 9.7 actually 'pushes' the Smart Cover away to prevent it from closing.

7. Lostanddamned thread starter macrumors 6502a

Lostanddamned