Air 2 to 9.7 pro worth the upgrade?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by kingston73, Mar 24, 2018.

  1. kingston73, Mar 24, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2018

    kingston73 macrumors 6502a

    kingston73

    Joined:
    Dec 23, 2015
    #1
    i have an air 2 that I got in 2015 and I’m noticing the price for the9.7 pro is down around the $400 mark for returns and used. Would it be worth the $400 price to upgrade or should I just keep the air 2 until it dies? I’ve already had to have it fixed once as it was losing charge abnormally quick and having weird touch issues so it’s definitely not in great condition anymore. Thoughts?
     
  2. DoubleFlyaway macrumors 6502a

    DoubleFlyaway

    Joined:
    Nov 16, 2017
    #2
    It wouldn’t be worth it to me. I’m holding onto my Air 2 until something super new and cool comes out. :) But I do already have a 12.9 IPP, so the Air2 is my secondary device. My Air2 still works perfectly, though.
     
  3. kingston73 thread starter macrumors 6502a

    kingston73

    Joined:
    Dec 23, 2015
    #3
    I’ve read a lot of threads about it and many say it’s worth it, my hesitation is that the 9.7 pro is now over a year old. The heap prices are really tempting though. It’s my only device, mainly use it for games and streaming Netflix and Hulu and similar.
     
  4. DoubleFlyaway macrumors 6502a

    DoubleFlyaway

    Joined:
    Nov 16, 2017
    #4
    Yeah, it’s not so much that I don’t think the 9.7 pro is nice or was ever a worthy upgrade. It’s just that I wouldn’t buy it now, when it’s presumably about to be two generations old. I wouldn’t even get the 10.5 right now, even though I am totally coveting it. I love my 12.9 but would love something comparable that is purse-sized for when I’m not going to be working.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 24, 2018 ---
    By comparable I mean— even though I love my Air 2 and it’s running super well, I’d love something with pencil and ASK that I can throw in my purse or even take away for the weekend when I’m not going to be working.
     
  5. rui no onna macrumors 603

    rui no onna

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2013
    #5
    There's an Apple keynote on Tuesday. Rumors thus far are basic iPad refresh with A10 and under $300. If true, that gives Pro 9.7 performance at a lower price point. Probably a screen downgrade and no Pencil support but battery life will likely be excellent. At the very least, wait until the keynote before buying.
     
  6. Rhyalus macrumors 6502

    Rhyalus

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2011
    #6
    I just upgraded a few weeks ago. I wanted more memory, and I liked the idea of the slightly larger screen. The camera is also great as my kids are in gymnastics and 1080p at 60 fps looks fantastic! (clearly better than the ipad Air 2)

    My reason for moving now is that I do not want/like face ID, I still like the home button, and it has been 2-3 years since I invested in the Air 2.

    I use my iPad extensively, so for me, it was worth it. FYI, I do not consider this device even remotely capable of replacing my laptop... It is perfect for remote content consumption (news, mags, video, email, calendar, etc.)

    R
     
  7. weeesss macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2017
    #7
    I upgraded from a 2017 iPad to a Pro 10.5. For me it was the speed, the fact that my daughter could use 4g at school and I find the Pro screen to be better on my eyes.

    I got it for $484 plus tax. At $649 I would not have stuck it out.
     
  8. kingston73 thread starter macrumors 6502a

    kingston73

    Joined:
    Dec 23, 2015
  9. weeesss macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2017
    #9
    Yes. The 64gb Pro 10.5.
     
  10. kingston73 thread starter macrumors 6502a

    kingston73

    Joined:
    Dec 23, 2015
    #10
    Where did you find a 10.5 for that price? Best I’ve seen is about $550
     
  11. weeesss macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2017
    #11
    Microcenter.com
     
  12. kingston73 thread starter macrumors 6502a

    kingston73

    Joined:
    Dec 23, 2015
    #12
    Well, after thinking about it a bunch I decided to buy a refurb 10.5 from Apple. I’ll get the 1 year warranty and I’ll be able to sell my air 2 for about $200, so it’ll only be about $300 for the new one. I figured if I wait much longer the resale value of my air will keep dropping. I’d also like to keep a home button and don’t trust the new versions will still have it.
     

Share This Page