All iPads air 2 users - is it ok to apply screen protector?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by vmflapem, Oct 27, 2014.

1. vmflapem macrumors 6502

I heard that the screen protectors might peel off the anti-reflective coating from the screen. Is this true?

2. bobright macrumors 601

No maybe a wet one but still doubt it, with a dry one don't see how. Oils from our fingerprints are probably worse.

3. OldMacUser macrumors member

OldMacUser

Depends on what was used for the screen protector to adhere to the screen.

I have used screen protectors on all my iPads (and most of my iPhones up to the 5-series) and never encountered any issue. Having said that, once a screen protector is on, I have never removed it unless to put another one straight back on.

Also, I use the plastic-type screen protectors which use some kind of electrostatic or some other magic airy-fairy stuff to stick to the screen and the screen protectors do come off pretty easily without any residue, thus leaving me to believe that the coating (oleophobic or anti-reflective) has *not* come off the screen.

Have not used glass or other hard screen protectors which might need stronger "glues" thus I cannot comment on those.

TL;DR - used plastic screen protector, no issue.

4. vmflapem thread starter macrumors 6502

The one I'm thinking of putting on is the ZAGG's glass screen protector. Would this be fine as well?

5. Celedral macrumors 6502

Celedral

I've lost some sensitivity with my tempered glass from eBay. I had to adjust the way I touch to get better results.

6. DVNIEL macrumors 6502a

DVNIEL

That's what she said.

7. derekgroves macrumors member

I use zagg glass protectors on all of my devices with no issues. Don't think too hard on this.

8. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

That's a great choice! There are no bubbles and the surface feels great.

9. The19th macrumors regular

I used my Air 2 for a few days before I put on a Tech Armor screen protector (was on sale a few days ago for about $7. It is one of those firm plastic kinds that use static and not adhesive to stick to the screen.

While I have some piece of mind, ironically the screen protector put a highly reflective surface back onto the Air 2.

10. woodekm macrumors 65816

woodekm

I put an anti glare screen protector on my air 2, before I fired it up for the first time.

11. The19th macrumors regular

This SP is also not as oleophobic. You get what you pay for!

12. Trahearne macrumors 6502

Note: Just in case if someone say this is off topic, the oleophobic coating should be the topmost layer... by common sense.

After I had applied and taken off tempered glass screen protectors several times on my iPad Air 2, I once made several drops of baby oil onto the front glass to test the oil repelling capacity, and it still worked perfectly. I'm not saying that the adhesive layer of the screen protector would never wear the coatings of the screen, but I would say normally it won't "peel off completely".

13. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I don't know brand name AT&T put anti-glare screen protector on my iPad Air but it costs me around $45... Pretty expensive but worth it. :apple: