iPad Air 2 WiFi Performance

Discussion in 'iPad' started by BigCTM, Oct 23, 2014.

1. BigCTM macrumors newbie

I just sold my Mini 2 because I realized that 16gb was a pain. I was constantly deleting apps. My main reason for wanting to get the Air 2 besides this is the supposedly improved WiFi performance and ac wireless compatibility if you have an ac router. None of the reviews seem to mention this but this definitely is a big plus with making it more future proof. Anyone notice improvement in the WiFi performance?

2. mikemj23 macrumors 6502

I actually have. Definitely faster loading web pages than my rMini.

3. aibo macrumors 6502

Im using an ac router and just got an Air 2 yesterday. I don't notice an improved wifi speed since my previous ipad still had 802.11n (450Mbps), and my cable internet connection (30Mbs) was unable to saturate that, so the additional ac bandwidth is of little use. Perhaps if I were doing a file transfer from my Air 2 to another ac device, though I can't think of a scenario where I would need to do that.

Web browsing on the Air 2 is faster however just from the new A8X and 2GB ram.

4. iF34R macrumors 6502a

iF34R

While most won't notice the speed improvement per se, you'll definitely have a better range in the 5GHz spectrum; along with beamforming instead of the broadcast going out in all directions with the same intensity.

5. justinTlME macrumors 6502

justinTlME

If you don't mind me asking where and how much did you sell the mini 2 for? I am in the same boat, but can't decide if I want to ditch the mini 2 and get partial back towards an Air 2, or what.......decisions!

6. aibo macrumors 6502

Indeed, I can see the 802.11ac benefiting those with a large or multi-room house or office. I only have a 900sq foot apartment so reception has never been a factor.

7. BigCTM thread starter macrumors newbie

$300 on amazon...1 week before Apple announced the Air 2...