iPad Air 2 WiFi Performance

BigCTM

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2012
I just sold my Mini 2 because I realized that 16gb was a pain. I was constantly deleting apps. My main reason for wanting to get the Air 2 besides this is the supposedly improved WiFi performance and ac wireless compatibility if you have an ac router. None of the reviews seem to mention this but this definitely is a big plus with making it more future proof. Anyone notice improvement in the WiFi performance?

aibo

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2008
Southern California
Im using an ac router and just got an Air 2 yesterday. I don't notice an improved wifi speed since my previous ipad still had 802.11n (450Mbps), and my cable internet connection (30Mbs) was unable to saturate that, so the additional ac bandwidth is of little use. Perhaps if I were doing a file transfer from my Air 2 to another ac device, though I can't think of a scenario where I would need to do that.

Web browsing on the Air 2 is faster however just from the new A8X and 2GB ram.

iF34R

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2011
South Carolina
Im using an ac router and just got an Air 2 yesterday. I don't notice an improved wifi speed since my previous ipad still had 802.11n (450Mbps), and my cable internet connection (30Mbs) was unable to saturate that, so the additional ac bandwidth is of little use. Perhaps if I were doing a file transfer from my Air 2 to another ac device, though I can't think of a scenario where I would need to do that.

Web browsing on the Air 2 is faster however just from the new A8X and 2GB ram.
While most won't notice the speed improvement per se, you'll definitely have a better range in the 5GHz spectrum; along with beamforming instead of the broadcast going out in all directions with the same intensity.

justinTlME

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2014
I just sold my Mini 2 because I realized that 16gb was a pain. I was constantly deleting apps. My main reason for wanting to get the Air 2 besides this is the supposedly improved WiFi performance and ac wireless compatibility if you have an ac router. None of the reviews seem to mention this but this definitely is a big plus with making it more future proof. Anyone notice improvement in the WiFi performance?
If you don't mind me asking where and how much did you sell the mini 2 for? I am in the same boat, but can't decide if I want to ditch the mini 2 and get partial back towards an Air 2, or what.......decisions!

aibo

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2008
Southern California
While most won't notice the speed improvement per se, you'll definitely have a better range in the 5GHz spectrum; along with beamforming instead of the broadcast going out in all directions with the same intensity.
Indeed, I can see the 802.11ac benefiting those with a large or multi-room house or office. I only have a 900sq foot apartment so reception has never been a factor.

BigCTM

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2012
If you don't mind me asking where and how much did you sell the mini 2 for? I am in the same boat, but can't decide if I want to ditch the mini 2 and get partial back towards an Air 2, or what.......decisions!
$300 on amazon...1 week before Apple announced the Air 2...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.