Air 2018 with Apple Cinema Display 27" possible?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by kaardowiq, May 30, 2019.

1. kaardowiq macrumors member

Hi,

is the usage of an Air 2018 with double type USB-C connector possible to connect to an older Apple Cinema (not Thunderbolt!) Display 27"?

One USB-C for charging and the additional one for the Cinema Display with the lack of missing USB-A slots on the rear because the additional USB-A coudln't be connected anymore. But the display should still work?

Has anyone this running?

Thanks

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      115 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      22.1 KB
      Views:
  2. kaardowiq thread starter macrumors member

3. smirking macrumors 68020

smirking

It should be able to. I was successfully able to connect a 2016 MBP to a 30" Apple Cinema Display. The 30" was the most difficult of the older ACD lineup to connect with. I used that same adapter paired with an Apple dual link DVI to DisplayPort adapter that then connected into the DisplayPort to USB-C adapter that you're showing.

The tricky thing was that some other people tried a similar setup and didn't have any luck. Not all of the DP to USB-C adapters worked and there was no way to tell if your adapter would or wouldn't work. I didn't go through any special effort to find my adapter. I just went on eBay and bought the first one I saw that didn't look like a grossly over marked-up listing.

Oh wait, I think I just spotted an issue with your setup. For a 27" ACD, you probably need that USB-A cable powered. Apparently for the larger displays, the adapter needs to draw power from the USB-A line to the monitor.

I used to also have a 23" ACD and that one was able to run with just the DP line. Powering the USB-A line was the key getting the same setup to work on my 30" ACD.

4. chrfr macrumors 604

You'll have no brightness controls without the USB-A cable being connected. It'll work best if you attach a hub to the computer.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 6, 2019 ---
    The 23" and 30" ACDs are very different than the 24" and 27" models. The latter two don't have DVI, and a dual link adapter is not required with either the 24" or 27".

5. saulinpa, Jun 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2019

saulinpa macrumors 6502a