Air 3 vs Air 2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by TheKevinFang, Jul 9, 2015.

1. TheKevinFang macrumors member

We don't know the changes yet, but it seems that there will only be a few major changes to the iPad Air 3:

- New A9/A9X chip
    - Better battery life (?)
    - Fixes to speaker vibration
    - Force Touch (?)

This seems like such a minor change to the iPad Air line, now we don't know for definite if all of these changes will happen, nor do we know if any other features will be added, but here's hoping the iPad Pro isn't a clone of the iPad Air 3 with a larger screen/battery.

2. cynics macrumors G4

At this point there really isn't much need for change. Make it faster and more powerful with better APIs and let the devs do the rest.

Every time I think of something I'd want its software related not hardware.

3. nj-morris macrumors 68000

nj-morris

See comments in bold.

4. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Will we ever see Quad core A9X? Dual core is a joke. My cheap LG tablet is running Quad core and doesn't feel FAST enough.

5. nj-morris macrumors 68000

nj-morris

The Air 2 is already tri-core and it's a powerhouse. Likely the Air 3 will follow. Don't really think that quad-core is necessary though as most tasks only require single-core, and the iPad single core scores are off the charts. Will probably see a quad-core A9X in the iPad Pro though.

6. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

So you assume quad core must be faster than dual core? Does your LG tablet clearly outperform the iPad Air or Air 2 just now?

7. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Good questions Im guessing LG tablet is faster than iPad Air but way behind Air 2. I do believe Quad core is faster than Dual core. Can you prove me I am 100% wrong?

8. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Oh that's right I forgot about Air 2 already have tri core cpu. Which apps are benefit from more cores? Adobe?

9. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

If both processors ran at the same speed, and could process the same volume of information per thread, and the application itself was fully multithreaded then yes the quad core would outperform the dual core at the expense of battery life.
    The processors vary quite a bit though and the dual core Air has easily beat out competing quad core devices - just look up some benchmarking sites for evidence. Don't make the assumption that quad core > dual core. It can be but not always the case.