iPad Air 3

Discussion in 'iPad' started by puma1552, Oct 29, 2014.

1. puma1552 macrumors 601

What are we getting next year?

Next year surely will usher in an iPhone 6 form factor, and an A9X. I'm expecting the same RAM and modest spec bumps, but I think the iPad will be well overdue for a screen overhaul/upgrade. Time to use OLED or whatever at a higher ppi. Apple is well behind the game in the screen area and it really hasn't changed since the iPad 3.

So I think new form factor and upgraded screen, maybe two app multitasking, if it isn't reserved exclusively for the rumored pro.

Love my Air 2, and it's gorgeous, but I won't miss the chamfered edges, not by a long shot.

2. Closingracer macrumors 68000

Air 3

Lol it won't be oled I can almost guarantee that and it doesn't need a screen resolution update and don't get why people want it. We will then be complaining about battery life because it won't last longer then 5 hours. This already has sub 2k screen and bumping it up to a sub 4k screen will require them to put in a bigger battery and then make the iPad bigger and thicker again which they won't do. would almost bet money on the same res and lcd screen

3. mdridwan47 macrumors 6502

mdridwan47

• Higher Resolution (2K?)
    • A9X
    • Front facing speaker?
    • Even thinner?
    • Slightly improved camera with focus pixels?
    • Sapphire?
    • Camera Flash?

:p

4. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

OLED technology does have its benefits, but it does seem to produce a very oversaturated image when other OEMs use it.

HTC and iPhone are regarded as producing the best diplays (in terms of accuracy) and they use LCD.

5. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

It's already 2k...

6. mdridwan47 macrumors 6502

mdridwan47

Not completely though.

7. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

2k resolution is 2048 × 1536. The iPad is 2048 × 1536. I'd say that's as completely as completely could get.

8. BMcCoy macrumors 65816

BMcCoy

- A slight re-design of the shape - a thinner bezel, making the whole device slightly smaller in size, and lighter. Same thickness as Air 2.

- Same camera is iPhone6+, plus flash.

- Higher screen resolution.

9. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

I didn't think 2K was 4:3?

10. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

I just want to point out that Apple laminated the display to the glass and added an anti-reflective coating to the screen.....the display has most definitely changed since the iPad 3.

I know you're talking about resolution.....but there's more to a display than that.

----------

Googled "2k resolution" and this is what popped up:

"For example, 2K reference resolution is 2048 × 1536 pixels, whereas 4K reference resolution is 4096 × 3072 pixels. Nevertheless, 2K may also refer to resolutions like 2048 × 1556 (full-aperture), 2048 × 1152 (HDTV, 16:9 aspect ratio) or 2048 × 872 pixels (Cinemascope, 2.35:1 aspect ratio)"

11. mdridwan47 macrumors 6502

mdridwan47

Ok, iPad Air 3K then :D

12. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

That's interesting.

Perhaps Apple should advertise that the iPad has a 2K display, which actually means something, instead of Retina, which doesn't.

13. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

2k is as much a marketing term as retina. The display is great. Apple has never needed to pander to the spec-mongers. I doubt they start now.

14. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

I agree, the iPad display is fantastic, but at least 2K is a recognised resolution.

Retina is a made up marketing term.

And don't get me started on "Retina HD" on the iPhone 6.

15. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

The term "2K" is not a resolution. It too is just marketing speak.

"4K" can mean any number of resolutions.....even some that don't even reach 4000 pixels in width.

Retina at least has a scientific formula behind it. And means far more in differentiating what resolutions are good on what devices.

1920x1080 on a 55" TV doesn't equal 1920x1080 on my iPhone 6+. One is retina and the other isn't. One has a much higher PPI and is far sharper in comparison.

16. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

What about the 5K Mac ?

If that isn't aimed as spec-mongers I don't know what is.

Esp when the base model is reportedly too slow to drive the screen well enough.

17. Serban Suspended

i think the bezels are fine for a tablet..on iphone yes they can be smaller and still easy to use..but for tablet its ok, maybe the top/bottom can be reduce a little. I think ipad air 3 the main factor will be 14nm cpu and will be lighter

18. Closingracer macrumors 68000

While I prefer amoled myself but I'll take features over amoled preference for tablets with the Ipad. Samsung has made a really good amoled screen on the note 4. I would love an amoled Ipad but I doubt it will happen specially considering Samsung owns like over 90% of that screen producing market I think

19. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

20. NorthSeaBeach macrumors regular

Did you see the display on the Samsung Note 4? It's gorgeous. In Android you can change the saturation in the settings and turn it down to lifelike colours. Can't see why Apple couldn't do the same. Oled would end the much dreaded screenlottery because it doesn't use backlight. And add some technical benefits like decreased powerconsumtion and thinner display. I'm all for it.

21. NorthSeaBeach macrumors regular

To be honest, except for the effects of antireflective coating in a lit up Applestore I didn't see much of a difference with my 3. Most important to me is how even and white the screen is. I have a perfect 3 in that regard and would hate to change it for a yellowish or tinted screen on an Air2. Or for a higher dpi-one that has those issues.

22. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

I compared the Air to the Air 2 in store.....saw a pretty apparent difference in color accuracy and vibrancy. Perhaps one display had issues while the other didn't....I don't know.

23. NorthSeaBeach, Oct 31, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2014

NorthSeaBeach macrumors regular

Well I saw a difference. Granted it is a little nicer but not by much. Biggest difference I noticed was decreased reflection.

What I'd like to see:

- redesign like iphone 6;
    - lighter;
    - oled display with higher ppi;
    - faster CPU/GPU;
    - more RAM (not likely);
    - better battery;
    - same sound no vibration;
    - better wifi;
    - more GB for basic model;
    - USB and storage port (not likely);
    - splitscreen in iOS9;
    - more stable airplay.

24. rGiskard macrumors 68000

rGiskard

What I hope to see:

3X resolution. The current resolution is 2X, or two times the original resolution. For an explanation of X factors see this chart.

A 3X iPad would be 2304 x 3072, 396 ppi.

There is already a 10" 4K tablet display panel announced with a resolution of 3840 x 2160, 438 ppi, so a 3X iPad is technically feasable. Actually it is mandatory if Apple intend the iPad Air to remain a leader among tablets.