iPad Air, Air 2 or potential Pro for parents?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by emir, Dec 13, 2014.

1. emir macrumors 6502a

emir

Hey everyone;

So my parents have been using an iPad 2 for well over 2 years now and that device is what introduced them the concept of internet. Before the iPad I had them sit in front of a computer, tried to make them understand what a browser was and how mail was used but they just didn't get it. With iPad, just like every other parent, they are very keen on Instagram, Facebook and other things internet consumers dig.

However their iPad 2 has become very sluggish. In the country I live we have instalments for iPad purchases at the Apple Store. Both iPad Air and iPad Air 2 is being sold with 9 months instalments and the difference between the two is just ~15USD per month, for 9 months.

So considering all they do is just read the paper, check on social media, browse youtube and surf the internet, which one should I get to them? iPad Air, iPad Air 2 or just hang in there for a little bit more and get them the potential larger screened iPad Pro with a bigger screen?

Thanks for the suggestions in advance.

2. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

It sounds as if you could perhaps wait - in which case wait for the Pro and then make your decision accordingly. No one knows the Pro will have in terms of features, heck whether it will ever see the light of day but i'm sure around January/Feb the rumour mill will get a bit more intense.

p.s. Macbook Air may be another choice.

3. donnaw macrumors 65816

Don't know how old your folks are but I'm 63. For what they use it for any 'pro' model will likely be overkill. Plus it will be bigger and heavier making it harder to hold for longer periods.

I suggest the Air2. While some people with the Air1 apparently haven't had issues with memory some of us have. The 2G of RAM in the Air 2 is worth the difference. And they are less likely to see any issues for a couple of years. Also, if they do any photo editing the extra memory will help.

4. Archer1440 macrumors 6502

Archer1440

Get them the Air 2 and sell the iPad 2 after you wipe it. Night and day performance difference and it's a real, available device, not some rumor.

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. The Pro is just rumored at this point.

Not to mention, the cost of the Pro is likely to be significantly higher than the Air 2.