Air and Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Appler8, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Appler8 macrumors member

Hey, just wondering, how many of you have an MacBook Air and Pro? You know, use an Air as your ultra - portable, carry everywhere device, while you have a Pro when you need the power / space / screen size. Thanks.

2. refurbished macrumors member

That's exactly what I do. I use my Pro hooked up to a 24" screen for photoshop, illustrator, flash, downloading movies and stuff. Although I could probably use my Air for that too I need the extra space. I also put an SSD in the Pro.

And I use my Air for web browsing and stuff. I take it to college every day too.

I love both of them but for different things.

3. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

y would u not just got an iMac

4. refurbished macrumors member

It's a little bit too heavy and the battery life on the iMac isn't that great.

If you were wondering why I didn't get an iMac instead of the Pro it's because I don't like desktops. I like being able to bring both to school when there are things I need on the Pro. When I travel, which I do quite a lot, I like to have both computers with me.

5. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

I was referring to the previous poster. Are you talking about getting both a MBA and MBP or 1 or the other. I thought the previous person had a MBP and a MBA

6. Spadoinkles macrumors regular

Portability. What a useless timewaster.

I wouldn't get an Air if I had a Pro because I don't necessitate the portability of the Air over the Pro... I'm a MBP guy because I travel too frequently and my next three years will be uncertain because of university, but I'd expect my future setup to go along the lines of MBA + iMac/MP.

7. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

I don't but I've been considering it. It's a good idea in many ways. For example when you want a larger mobile screen. Too often I'm on the couch or in the den wishing I had a screen larger than the Air's.

Another is more power on the go. Desktops don't cut it there.

8. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

Anyone trying to rationalize owning both a MBA and a MBP has waaaaaay too much money to burn. (And way to much time on their hands to manage two systems).

9. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

exactly. Pick a laptop. Pick a desktop
    i have a laptop (just one- the horror!) and it works great for me.

10. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

I concur if u have both, u have deep pockets. Then again if u do have cash to burn and like electronic gadgets, why not.

11. refurbished macrumors member

True. (I'm one of them)

12. bniu macrumors 6502a

being in engineering school ==> teeny tiny pool of available girls ==> not much girlfriend prospects ==> no girlfriend ==> lots of money available ==> more money to buy Macs ==> :D

13. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Why be narrow minded on the topic? You have no idea what peoples needs are and how they may use their computers.

Some may need a powerful yet somewhat mobile machine for their work at times. For example a photographer who does field work and needs the added power and screen size. Then if you travel often as well what the heck is wrong with buying a MacBook Air for that purpose ... beats lugging a MBP if you don't need to.

The answer is there is nothing wrong with owning a MBP and MBA, no more than having an Air and an iMac or Mac Pro.

14. Lee Adama macrumors regular

Lee Adama

MBP 13 and Mac Mini. One I take to work. One stays at home.

15. t0rr3s macrumors 6502

t0rr3s

I"m really only waiting for a 15" air. At the moment, the Mac Pro, 15" MBP and ipad works a treat.

16. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

Seriously. An 11" MBA *and* a 13" MBP? Forget the Air and just get an iPad.

17. Risasi macrumors 6502

I'm your huckleberry...

I have a 13" Pro and also a 13" Air, and an iPad 1.

18. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

I have a 15" MBP i7 8GB with a 256GB Samsung SSD, an 11" i5 Air with 4GB ram and 128GB hd, a Lenovo T420S with 8GB ram and 128GB Samsung SSD, a Lenovo X200 with 4GB ram and a 128GB Samsung SSD, a Lenovo Ideapad y560 i7 Quad Core with 8GB ram and a 256GB drive, and 32GB iPad 2. I can justify each of them for what they do best. (OK so the T420S and X200 are for work)

Laptops are like a wardrobe. I choose what I'm in the mood for that day. I use Dropbox to hold the files I regularly need and most other data stores/apps are cloud or hosted solutions so not much need for local apps.

Oh, and that doesn't include the stuff my wife and kids have. ;)

...but my most direct response to the scoffing in previous posts is this: Those of you who think owning both a MBP and MBA is a waste have obviously never used them in tandem before. ;)

19. tootall macrumors regular

Some will tell me that I waste money, but here is my setup.

iMac 27" at home, MBP 13" that stays at work (I like having a laptop at work so I can use it in meetings and in class; I am a professor). Then I started missing the portability of laptop at home, I like changing places when I work for a very long time so I bought a MBA 13". It also comes very handy when I go to conferences...

My only slight regret is that maybe I should have gotten the 11" MBA instead...

20. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I was tempted to go this route as I really love the 11'' MBA for portable use, and had a 15'' MBP which was great for home use.

I ended up with a 13'' MBA air though, and don't have to worry about not having any of my files. I know the 13'' isn't powerful enough for some people to be their everyday computer, but have just one computer works best for me.

21. SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado

I have a 17" MBP and a 13" MBA. They serve different needs and purposes. The 17" is a big bulky brick of a laptop when compared to the MBA, but it has more screen real estate and a lot more computing power and storage when needed. The MBA is lightweight and portable, and very convenient to just grab and go. I particularly like it for traveling on my motorcycle. It takes up very little room in the panniers, and with the SSD drive, it is much more resistant to shock and bumps, particularly if off-road on a GS ride. When you are traveling by motorcycle, space is at a premium. For *my* needs, I have no problem at all justifying the need or expense. For me it isn't a matter of more money than sense, because I am *not* a particularly wealthy man, it simply makes sense for my needs. But everyone is different.

22. Zeov macrumors 6502a

Zeov

Currently have both a Ultimate 13" air and a Macbook pro too.. and an iMac to use when i get home.

i will most likely sell both the MBA and MBP and get a 15" MacBook Pro, but haven't decided on that yet.

23. tim100 macrumors 65816

you would dump both 13s for 15mbp?

24. TheJing macrumors 6502a

TheJing

I do have an Air and a Pro. I love it.

I use the Air whenever I leave the house and keep my Pro hooked up to an external screen for heavier work like flash, photoshop, audition, premiere and stuff like that.