iPad Air as a mini replacement?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by comatose81, Nov 2, 2013.

1. comatose81 macrumors 6502a

I've seen a few people mentioning that the iPad Air is so much thinner and lighter that mini users could buy it instead of the new retina mini. Sounds logical, at least.

I finally had a chance to try the Air out today and I have to say, if you're a mini fanatic the Air is not going to cut it. What they were able to do to the full-size iPad is nothing short of amazing, but it's still a beast when compared to the mini.

Those who bought minis because they just got sick of how heavy the iPad 3/4 was will probably want to switch to the Air. Along the same lines, if you got the mini and then found it was a little smaller than you wanted or the keyboard was too hard to type on you may also want to switch to the Air.

Other than that, if you are a staunch mini user, you will just want to wait for the retina mini release, as unbelievably agonizing as it may be. The Air is not going to satisfy you no matter how much you try to talk yourself into it.

Anyone else coming to the same conclusion or a completely different one?

2. pixelzombie macrumors member

pixelzombie

Having a mini, I thought I wanted the air or a 4 as my first full size ipad but getting a keyboard case kind of made me a happy camper with the mini. At this point, I'll probably just upgrade to the mini retina.

I tried out the air today at the apple store and I wasn't over the moon about it. I feel like I'm going to break it....and being a klutz, it's a nice serving of possible there.

3. SteelBlueTJ macrumors 6502

I picked up a new air last night to replace my mini. It's my third iPad so I already experienced the difference between both the mini and the full size iPad. My first iPad was the third gen which I had for about 6 months until the mini came out. Sold the third gen due to its heaviness. I've been a happy camper with my mini for the past year, but I did miss the retina display. I decided to try the full size again now that it's weight has been reduced and I must say it is a nice balance between the previous full size iPad and the mini. It is light enough to hold in one hand, but at the same time does feel very fragile. I never take my iPads outside - they are mainly couch/bed devices.

4. evasquez7 macrumors member

Read my thread I just posted, "My iPad Air Story". Hopefully it'll help you out.

5. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

Its not a mini replacement. Its an iPad replacement.

6. Steviejobz macrumors 68000

Sorry, still too long/tall to be as portable as a mini. The spec differential is now a non-factor. So unless you lack a laptop at home, can't fathom use of an iPad. Too clunky to tote, not as useful as a laptop when you are going to need to rest on something anyway.

But everyone is different. Probably the reason Apple chose to make both.

7. mashinhead macrumors 68020

I'd go check it out in person if I were you. I did and I wouldn't say that at all. It's a lighter, leaner iPad, I don't even think it's a single handed device if that's what you're looking for.

If you're a person that uses and iPad a lot or as your primary device, then I think the larger iPad is for you.

If it's a secondary device, or even a third one, (for me i use and iPhone and Macbook much more than I've ever used an iPad) then I would say the mini is for you.

What's nice about what Apple did was they gave both devices the same specs/power so all you have to do is choose what screen size you want.

8. comatose81 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah I think that's the #1 reason someone would switch from mini to Air. The 3 and 4 were so damn heavy.

9. FrankB1191 macrumors 6502a

I had a Mini first, and my wife bought an iPad 4 at the same time. Friends and family all had the full size iPad, and thought my Mini was a cheaper toy version, so I bought an iPad 4 as well. It was heavy, and it's curved edges made it unpleasant to hold. It does have a better display for text when compared to the Mini, but I stopped using it altogether not long after.

I was somewhat interested in what was being called the iPad 5, but wasn't sure at all. Two days ago, I decided I was not going to buy the Air, but found myself standing in a Best Buy yesterday. :D My wife has been at a convention since Thursday, so I've used the Air extensively in the past 24 hours. It's simply a larger Mini, and has replaced the smaller tablet. Its larger display and light weight make it easy to hold and read. The retina Mini will still have small text, and a smaller keyboard, so I'm not interested in that model now.

10. AppleRobert macrumors 603

I use the Nook HD+ or the Asus A500 for movies and TV shows. When I do a lot of browsing, the same. And also for playing some games as well. With the Air, I have a device I am comfortable with as my everything tablet mobile device. I'll tolerate the little larger size and weight. I enjoyed the Mini, no regret but now the Air rules and I will not buy the second gen.

11. pat park macrumors 6502a

this describes my story. I've been very happy with the Mini's size and weight. Just picked up a 16GB Air today and it's still awkward going back to the full size screen. The retina screen is a huge plus and so far a loving it.

12. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

I had an air and a 3rd gen and used they the mini mostly because of the thinness and lightness. The Air is so light, I can't think of a reason to get a mini anymore.

13. comatose81 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Just had another chance to play with the Air and mini side by side. As light as the Air is, the difference in weight is still pretty significant. I'm trying to convince myself that the Air is the one I want but I think I'm going to have to wait for the mini. The convenience is the winning feature.

14. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

I think I'm gonna wait for the retina mini too. I'll get it and when the new ones come next year (hopefully with touchid, 32gb standard and more ram) ill give it to my daughter

15. MatthewStorm macrumors 6502a

MatthewStorm

I sold my mini to a friend Friday, same day I bough the Air. I need the extra screen and it's much different than the other full size iPads. I'm happy with the Air.

I do wish the keyboard was smaller and I could change it to a darker colour, tho.

16. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

My problem is that I used my iPad a lot less when I switched to the mini from iPad 3. Typing in it just seems slower than on the iPhone, and having to hold it at the similar distance to my face as my iPhone just made it less useful to me.

The size difference is incredible though. After using the Air the mini feels tiny. And the opposite if you go the other direction.

Using an app like Paper though is what really differentiates the two. It works okay on the mini, but is awesome on the air because you have that much more accuracy.