Air Battery life?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Jmindamix, Mar 20, 2015.

1. Jmindamix macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

Quick question, I bought a 13' MBA in August of 2014 for university. Besides a dodgy A key, it's nothing less than perfect at its job and I love it to bits, but since installing Monity in the Today view, I noticed the battery capacity levels have dropped pretty significantly since I bought it. It's currently sitting at 90% design capacity after just 135 charge cycles. Is this normal? I wouldn't say I use it in any unusual fashion: there may have been some times I've forgotten to unplug it overnight and left it charging but besides that I'm usually pretty careful. Not sure if its a dodgy battery or I'm just overreacting to numbers.

Advice/opinions would be appreciated :)

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, it's normal. You don't have to unplug it overnight. When it's fully charged, it stops charging. You cannot overcharge it.

It is perfectly normal if your battery health (maximum capacity) is more or less than 100%, even when brand new, or if it fluctuates up or down over time. The gradual decline is not in a straight line downward, and it may decline more rapidly at some times and slower at others. For further details, read the CHECKING STATUS AND HEALTH section of the following link.

Run on battery whenever you need to and plug it in whenever you can. You can plug or unplug any time you need to, regardless of the charged percentage, and you never need to completely drain your battery.
    The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions, including tips for maximizing battery performance. If you haven’t already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

3. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

I have turned off the battery percentage indicator and make an effort to not hyper-analyze the battery design capacity/ actual capacity ratios. Just use the device as you normally would and if someday you notice the battery getting in the way of performing your job - then get it replaced! Not worth the anxiety of analyzing whether the battery went to 99% a few minutes sooner than yesterday and the day before.