Air Display Now On App Store

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by sassenach74, May 25, 2010.

1. sassenach74 macrumors 65816

sassenach74

Hey guys, hope this hasn't already been posted (I searched with MRoogle)
    Air Display is now live on the app store, anyone going to give it a go?
    I, unfortunately have to wait until Friday to try it, but I do find it interesting, especially for moving palettes in Photoshop and things like that.

Anyone have any other usage ideas?

Neil.

2. DaveOZ macrumors regular

This program just broke my new MBPro 17. After installing the desktop utility it hung on reeboot. I manged to get into by booting in 32bit mode then back to 64 bit (hold down 6 and 4 keys on boot) I then uninstalled it using the process buried inside applications/utilities. :mad:

3. sassenach74 thread starter macrumors 65816

sassenach74

Well that doesn't sound too promising. I wont jump to conclusions though, I'll see if it becomes a common problem.

4. arctic macrumors 6502a

arctic

I hope we see more feedback about that issue soon.

Boy, this app's been selling like hotcakes. Only released 13 hours ago, it already soared to number 32 in the Top Paid iPad chart. :eek:

5. kaelell macrumors 6502

6. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Turns your iPad into a dual display for your mac

7. kaelell macrumors 6502

ahh yes I heard about that, my understanding was that it was buggy and wait for updates to get it right.

so... how is it right now? :)

8. sassenach74 thread starter macrumors 65816

sassenach74

I think you're thinking of iDisplay, that was buggy as far as I remember.

9. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

The title says Air Display but the post says Air Video. Which one are you talking about?

10. itzcoolz macrumors regular

he's prolly talking about air display, because i also noticed that it just came out yesterday too. i have high hopes for it.

11. PhillStew macrumors member

I quite literally just purchased this app after seeing it on AppShopper this morning because I was wanting to use up some iTunes credit I had...

Now I'll try to provide a short review...

Impressions: First, let me say, this thing is great. I'm sitting here now working on a Word document and threw my formatting palette and my desktop Twitter client on my iPad's screen. There is a little bit of lag, but nothing that would ever make me regret this purchase. Not to mention, the resolution (for me at least) is more than adequate.

Limitations: Of course, one of the first things I pushed over to my second display was a video (Leo Laporte's Tech Guy video podcast), this is where I saw a small hiccup. The video was a bit choppy, not unwatchable, but then again, the video is just a guy sitting at a desk doing a radio show...that being said, I wouldn't want to throw any graphics intensive HD video over to it. Another limitation would be the sleep/auto-lock on my iPad. I found, after the five minute auto-lock feature was activated, that the display went to sleep and required a quick reconfigure. This issue was resolved by me just sitting my iPad to never auto-lock. This is just something I'll have to do when sitting at the desk working. Lastly, the touch screen is mapped to your mouse, so if you do feel the need to reach over and tap, for instance, a link in a Tweet, it will perform the same function as actually clicking with your cursor.

Setup: The setup is straight forward, and just as described on the App Store page. Upon downloading the actual app and a quick sync to get it over to my iPad, you launch the app and are instructed to go to the developer's site and download the Preference Pane. Now, for my particular configuration, I am using my MBP in clamshell mode hooked up to a 23" external monitor. Your display prefs. automatically detect it and you'll be off and running. This is seriously one of the easiest setups like this I have seen. In short, if you're comfortable with syncing documents/apps using iTunes to your iPad, you can do this.

Recommendation: If you spend any time at all in applications like the Office Suite, IM apps, Twitter clients, anything that has a palette or moveable toolbar, you should own this app. I already see it coming in handy while on extended trips, as some of us will have our Macbook and iPad in tow anyway, because who actually takes an external monitor with you everywhere you go?

Attached Files:

12. sassenach74 thread starter macrumors 65816

sassenach74

Big whoops, and appologies, I meant Air Display, I guess I got used to typing video after the word air haha. I'll edit my first post, again, sorry for any confusion.

13. sassenach74 thread starter macrumors 65816

sassenach74

Hey thanks for your review on this, it sounds like it works pretty much as advertised. I'm glad you're enjoying using it, sounds like it's worth the investment.
    Maybe a quick email to the devs regarding the screen lock thing wouldn't go amiss.
    I reckon this could come in quite useful for photoshop and even numbers/excel, pages/word.

14. illest813 macrumors member

Hey guys,

I just downloaded this app. Its working well. I was wondering if any of you knew if it was possible to have this work as a monitor if there is no wireless, say, via bluetooth? or if it is hooked up via usb.

Thanks!

15. EarthDawn macrumors 6502a

EarthDawn

Just got this app tonight and man is it great...

SUPER easy to set up and it really does work!

So far I just keep my Skype & HandBrake on it but I see a lot of others talking about using it to hold there photoshop pallets on it.

16. lokerd macrumors 6502a

lokerd

I can see using this for extra pallets, but not sure why younwould want to move a program over to it that is just as easily run directly on the iPad???

17. d2LiL macrumors newbie

I'm very interested in the way Air Display works. I don't have an iPad yet (waiting for iPad 2), but I've watched Air Display being used on YouTube. Does anyone know if there is a similar application that will work between two Macs? So essentially be able have another Mac's screen show up in Display Preferences as an external display...