air display/screen concern, comparison

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by interpunct, Jul 5, 2012.

1. interpunct macrumors newbie

interpunct

hi all, i have been debating between a 13" pro and 13" air to upgrade from my old 2007-2008ish era white macbook (not sure of it's birthdate exactly, i bought it refurb).

my main concern has been the discussion over the screen on the air being lackluster. in comparison to the old macbook's screen, how would the air compare? do any of you have firsthand experience?

i have been using my macbook (and previously, ibook) for medium-load photo editing and photo work of DSLR RAW and scanned TIFF files in photoshop. i know the screens i have been working on have not been calibrated pro screens to begin with, so i am wondering what sort of difference i would be seeing between what i have been used to, and with the new air. i'm obviously not expecting to get pro-level photo editing done on the laptop screen, just looking for something on par with my macbook, which has done me very well. the only time i go elsewhere for color-correct photo editing is if i'm going to make a print of the photograph.

outside of screen concern, i have mostly assumed (especially from reading around the forum) that the air will be able to handle the photoshop work that i do. my current macbook is running on only 2 GB of RAM, so any newer computer is bound to be more capable.

so, thoughts anyone? thanks a bunch! :)

2. tey112 macrumors member

I have a 2012 13" base with 8GB of ram air right now. It has the samsung panel, and the screen looks great to me.

I've had 13" 2009,2011 macbook pros and I actually prefer the air because of the screen real estate. And you should be fine with photoshop, it might be slow compared to what a current gen MBP could do, but this 2012 air is just as fast as my early 2011 13" pro.

3. interpunct thread starter macrumors newbie

interpunct

i should add, i am leaning towards air primarily for the screen as well, because i really, really do not like the high gloss and black bezel of the MBP screens, and unfortunately they don't offer the matte screen with silver bezel on the 13" MBP.