Air & DisplayPort 1.2?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by bigtime8, Jun 13, 2013.

1. bigtime8 macrumors newbie

Does the new Macbook Air (June 2013) support DisplayPort 1.2 over the Thunderbolt port?

I reckon not. I read that DP 1.2 would be supported by Haswell, but I haven't seen anything about this in discussions about the new Air (I also thought Haswell would double T/b speed, but haven't seen anything about this, either).

Thanks!

2. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

While I too am interested in this, Haswell TB should support DP 1.2 but the double Thunderbolt speed isn't supported until the update to TB later this year.

3. caeci11ius macrumors newbie

Been trying to track down the answer to this myself. Would like to run a 4K monitor in future and Intel HD Graphics 5000 should be able to manage that according to what Intel's been saying about them (I guess we shall see). Haven't been able to track down much on the chip in the new Air, but assuming Apple have fitted the new Redwood Ridge chips, it should be DisplayPort 1.2 compliant. Given they were going for battery life on these new models, I'd say that's likely (the new chips use less power).

I believe the real problem with displaying 4k at the moment is that MacOS can't do it. I did find a report of a guy outputting a 4k signal at 30hz from his Macbook Pro, but he was only able to do so using Windows+Boot Camp. When he tried it under OSX, the option was unavailable. I believe the new Mavericks version is supposed to correct this issue. If anyone's running the developer version on the new Air and also has a 4k display, I'd be very interested to hear if it works (somehow I doubt that's going to happen lol)...

Incidentally, I read something in Anandtech's Thunderbolt 2 article that suggested that when it came to Redwood Ridge, the issue with high res support is that there's no receiver chips to match with the chip in the computer. I thought that implied (slightly) that these new chips may be able to run with the new 20Gbps bandwidth (after all, it's just the merging of the two existing channels into one). Might just be wishful thinking on my part though...

4. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Truthfully, I couldn't careless for 4k but being able to daisy chain non-thunderbolt displays is why I want it. Would be nice to be able to use two Dell 2713's....

5. ch900712 macrumors newbie

Hate to ninja your topic... but I was wondering is it possible to daisy chain the the thunderbolt display with the older non thunderbolt one on the macbook air?

6. caeci11ius macrumors newbie

The Thunderbolt standard supports daisy chaining one displayport monitor at the end of the chain. That said, I believe I read somewhere that this won't work with Apple's thunderbolt display. It works with other thunderbolt devices though...

7. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Yes you can have a Thunderbolt display, then you need to put another thunderbolt device between them, and then put a non-thunderbolt display after it. So many will attach their Thunderbolt Display directly to their computer, then add like a Thunderbolt hard drive (with two TB ports which is critical) and then attach the second monitor after the hard drive.

8. caeci11ius macrumors newbie

Important to note there though that you cannot connect your displayport display directly to the thunderbolt display, which is a fault if you ask me. It even notes this on Apple's thunderbolt page here http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5219#minimul . Wonder if it will work properly on their new model (whenever they release it).

9. curiousprgrmr macrumors newbie

Can anyone confirm/deny the new macbook air has redwood ridge with displayport 1.2?