All iPads Air Feels Like a Plank Compared to Air 2: Air 2 Flex

Discussion in 'iPad' started by FrankB1191, Oct 23, 2014.

1. FrankB1191, Oct 23, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2014

FrankB1191 macrumors 6502a

The difference in thickness is immediately noticeable, and the Air 2 can easily be flexed a bit. I didn't push it too hard, but the Air is definitely more stiff. While the difference in weight is small on paper, I can feel that the Air 2 is lighter.

The flexing is something that I'll have to think about for a few minutes, but I'm stopping to flex it as I type this. I'll go to Best Buy and flex their display model to its limit. :D I'm not declaring flexgate, just an observation. When I had a Samsung tablet couple years ago, it flexed easily. The Air 2 seems to have a very slight curve, and that was what prompted me to flex it in the first place.

EDIT:
    Okay... Using daylight, a dead flat surface, and a drafting straight edge, I looked at my Air 2 and Air 1 again this morning. The Air 1 has a much greater curve along its length than the Air 2. Both tablets have a concave bend toward the screen. In my living room last night, the Air 1 did not seem to flex, but it quite clearly flexes to just about the same degree as my Air 2.

I've used my Air 1 without a case since last December, and I'll assume it's always been like this; I've never sat on it. I thought I'd have to put the Air 2 in a case, but it's more flat than the Air 1, so I'll just use a Smart Cover for now.
    What a relief. I woke up this morning, thinking I'd have to debate returning the Air 2 this weekend. The bend in the Air 1 has quieted the voices in my head.

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

3. cababah macrumors 68000

So you're going to go and potentially damage someone else's property?

4. Angler macrumors regular

sure sounds like that

5. FrankB1191 thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's not bad. The iPad 4 was an iron beam compared to the Air, and the Air 2 is just a little flexible, if you try to flex it. I'm loving the Air 2.... :cool:

----------

Display is display, but I'm not going to attempt to break one. I'll even have the the Apple rep stand there when I show him the flex. ;)

6. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

Give it a break, please. It was unoriginal and unfunny the first thousand times.

7. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

A sense of humor is a terrible thing to waste... :(

8. FrankB1191, Oct 23, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2014

FrankB1191 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I decided to stress test my Air 2, and it flexes a tiny amount with moderate pressure. Applying greater pressure doesn't make it flex much further, and I decided that using even greater pressure is best left to Consumer Reports. The Air 2 flexes, but not outside the boundaries of what would be acceptable to me. The hood on my car flexes as well, but I'm not worried.

This thread was started simply to make an observation. I'm pleased with the Air 2.

EDIT:
    Okay... Using daylight, a dead flat surface, and a drafting straight edge, I looked at my Air 2 and Air 1 again this morning. The Air 1 has a much greater curve along its length than the Air 2. Both tablets have a concave bend toward the screen. In my living room last night, the Air 1 did not seem to flex, but it quite clearly flexes to just about the same degree as my Air 2.

I've used my Air 1 without a case since last December, and I'll assume it's always been like this; I've never sat on it. I thought I'd have to put the Air 2 in a case, but it's more flat than the Air 1, so I'll just use a Smart Cover for now.
    What a relief. I woke up this morning, thinking I'd have to debate returning the Air 2 this weekend. The bend in the Air 1 has quieted the voices in my head. :D