Air for a Web Developer?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Fabiano, Apr 18, 2008.

1. Fabiano macrumors regular

First I want to say hi to everyone, I have been here for a while but its my first thread.

Well, this year I decided to go for a Mac, and almost decided where to start: Im considering to get the Air. But first I must be sure that it will fit my needs. I work as a web developer, for years I have been working with PHP, ASP and the .NET framework. but recently Im starting to get used to Rails, and I heard that Mac is the perfect platform for it. So, I want to know if there are other developers that use the Air too, And what the tools you are using.

Im not the kind of road warrior, but it would be nice if I can reduce the actual 6.6 pounds of my 15" compaq laptop (my spine will thank)

For me the MB Pro is still too big and heavy, and the Macbook have a poor display compared to the Air. So i think the Air is perfect for me. What you guys think about it?

2. isdereks macrumors newbie

I came from a 2.4 Ghz C2D MBP + 4 GB of RAM to my current 1.6 Ghz Air. I'm actually quite surprised at how well the machine works as a main computer and development machine.

Current environment:

- Rails 2
    - MySQL
    - SVN (Smart SVN & CLI)
    - TextMate
    - FTP (Transmit or Flow)
    - Photoshop
    - VMware Fusion (XP & Vista)

All the tools a developer needs for work anywhere any time.