AIR for Web Development Work

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by tortex, Jun 12, 2013.

1. tortex macrumors member

Hello.

I've been suing a 15" MBP for 3 years, but it's so damn heavy and I can no longer be arsed to hurt my back by carrying it. I need a MBA fairly quick, so was wondering if the stock 13" 1.3 with 4gb RAM will be enough, realistically, for web and iOS dev? I run XCode 5, Coda, Sublime text but also Photoshop and Illustrator. It'll not be used for anything other than dev, no gaming or large music collections etc.

I'd order a custom one online but they just told me it'd take 3-4 weeks.

Cheers.

2. c1phr macrumors 6502

Honestly, you might be kicking yourself later if you don't get the 8GB RAM upgrade. That's the only thing that I could see that workflow demanding very quickly.

3. barrk macrumors member

4. Spoonz macrumors member

As others have said, it's in many ways foolish to not get the 8GB upgrade - considering buying the 4GB model means you're stuck with that amount until you buy another complete machine.

That said, I've had my MBA for just over a year and use it for exactly the same purpose as you intend to. 4GB RAM stands up just fine, but who knows how for how long...

5. mslide macrumors 6502a

An Air is enough for that. Definitely go for 8GB RAM especially since you said you do web development. Thus, I assume you'll want to be running a Windows VM from time to time to test things with Internet Explorer.

6. tortex thread starter macrumors member

Nah, that lovely job goes elsewhere. :)

Called Apple again, they now say 4-5 days so I have one on the way, fully upgraded apart from the SSD, 256 is fine as I use the cloud for a lot of stuff.

7. sick z33 macrumors 6502