Air i5 vs i7 gaming results

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Flowiee, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Flowiee macrumors member

Hi all,

Still debating between the i5 and i7. For normal use, I think I dont really need the i7. Like using Imovie, I will only use it with snowboard vacations what are 1-2 times a year, and with motorbike rides but that will take 2 years from now.

But for games I dont know if it makes a difference. The only graphical game I will play is Guildwars 2, for the other games my Playstation 4 will work ^^.

Also 'heavy' webbrowser work, many of tabs etc. Will the i7 work better or will it be the same as the i5? like lag etc.

Id also like to keep my laptop for 5 years.

2. DwainTR macrumors newbie

When do you think you would change your macbook air? If you're planning to use it at least a couple of years and concerned about gaming performance i would go with i7.

That's how I did. It's worth to pay that extra money for sure for long term uses.

3. Flowiee thread starter macrumors member

Like mentioned, Id like to keep my laptop for 5 years.
    Or do i need to take a look at the rMBP? (price difference between 1.7/8/256 and 2.6/8/256 is €50)

4. DwainTR macrumors newbie

Well then I would pay as much as needed for i7.

5. Flowiee thread starter macrumors member

How is your battery life on the i7 with mavericks? like light/medium/heavy work?

6. DwainTR macrumors newbie

I bought it a couple of days ago and I only used it attached to the battery at home. Haven't tried it yet longtime but two days ago, i had it unattached to the adaptor and after about an our it was showing me 9 hours left. I was listening to iTunes music and surfing on internet. Nothing else i guess...

7. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

If money is tight, which I assume since you ask, I wouldn't buy the i7 for this little movie work.
    Absolutely no difference. Your Air is hindered by the graphic card by far. The i5 will easily saturate it.
    You'll want RAM for this, and the i7 won't make a difference.
    RAM.

8. Flowiee thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the answers, waiting for someone to reply for me some gaming results, if those are good, the 1.3 is the way to go for me.

Another question. Will the 1.3 hold on when its 5 years later? or should I look at the rMBP when I want to keep it for 5 years.

9. Jefe's MacAir macrumors 6502

If battery life and weight aren't as important as high performance and screen I would advise to get the Pro.

10. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Get the i7. You'll never look back and say "I shoulda gotten the faster processor" because you'll already have it. :apple:

11. Flowiee thread starter macrumors member

Howmuch battery life you get and with what applications?

12. DwainTR macrumors newbie

There is no one answer for this. So it's not a good way to make a comparison. And I agree with him. Get the i7 and leave any confusion behind.

13. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Not significantly different than the i5 according to the reviews.

How much battery I get depends on exactly what game I am playing. Civ 5, for example, is very CPU intensive, so it eats up battery a lot faster than Angry Birds. Look at the Anandtech review and their tests under load and you will see that the battery consumption difference between the i5 and i7 under load is not that big.

14. jdmachogg macrumors newbie

I have the i7. Am incredibly impressed by its gaming capabilities.

Battery life is amazing, casual browsing and light work ill get at least 13 hours. Even in Bootcamp I get 10+

Heavy gaming will eat up the battery in a couple hours. But where do you not have access to power for more than a couple hours where you would do some heavy duty stuff?

The i5 is pretty much on par with the i7, but the i7 is more powerful. Get it with 8GB, both are more important than SSD as externals are cheap/easy, plus we will likely have 3rd party upgrade options sometime soon :)