Air Intake on MacBook Pro (non Retina)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ifti, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Ifti macrumors 68000

Im considering a Moshi keyboard cover to stop the keys on my new MacBook going glossy, like they have in the past.
    However, as far as I can see, the gaps between the keys are the only way air can enter the system, and then the exhaust at the rear hinge. Is this correct?
    I encode videos via iMovie and the fan spins up as the CPU heats up, so I dont want to stop any air intake etc, I'd rather leave it and have glossy keys rather then an overheating system!

2. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Nope, next to no air enters the keyboard (a negligible fraction does). Air enters and exits through vents both from above and below the hinge.

3. Ifti thread starter macrumors 68000

Ah, thanks for the confirmation - just thinking of where I can try out this keyboard cover as some say you need to press harder on the keys - not sure if I actually want that or not......

4. Teo Morabito macrumors member

You have a beautiful mac, why hide it ?
    Just saying lol

5. AlexBass macrumors regular

I believe the air diffuses through the aluminum, you should be fine.

6. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

The Moshi cover is supposed to be better than the regular/cheap silicon covers.

Because the keys will become un-beautiful when they inevitably become shiny ;)

7. Ifti thread starter macrumors 68000

^^^^^
    thats just it - I like to keep my stuff looking nice and new. The current MBP I have is up for sale, and I have someone interested due to the fact that the condition is like almost new - no marks etc whatsoever. If the keys werent a little glossy a buyer would probably think it was new!

8. jnt macrumors newbie

I asked a Mac Genius about this issue- he specifically told me NOT to put a cover on the keyboard as it would block air intake and lead to overheating of the MBP.

----------

ps. I have a friend who has been using a keyboard cover and has had some overheating issues.

9. striker33 macrumors 65816

striker33

That right there is where you went wrong.

Never EVER take the advice of someone who works in an Apple store, unless its from one of the repair guys locked away in the back rooms.

10. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

I've had the Moshi keyboard cover on my MBP since I got it and I've had no overheating issues at all. It doesn't block the air intake. It does feel different to type on, but I adjusted to it really quickly. I just take it off once in a while, give it a wash in soap and water, dry it and put it back on. Much easier than cleaning the actual keyboard. It's not for everyone, but I like it.