Air Intake?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by w00t951, Jun 13, 2011.

1. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

I recently bought a keyboard cover from iSkin, but I was worried about heating problems. I took a nice look at my MBP and I arrived at the conclusion that exhaust is expelled from the back vents and taken in through the keyboard. Is it safe for me to play games that make my fans go crazy with this keyboard cover on? Thanks.

2. darkmess macrumors newbie

I have a 2010 model, and I can tell you that I need a laptop fan thing to be under my MBP just to play a 3D game over 10 minutes.

To be honest, I wouldn't get the skin, but if you have money to burn and want to try it out, just be careful. MBPs get really hot, it's scary.

3. Locodice macrumors regular

The intel chips are designed to shut off if they get too hot so don't worry about heat issues.

As for the keyboard cover, I would advise against it as it does cause the mbp to heat up unnecessarily.

4. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

I bought them because i have greasy hands. Thats what i thought at first about the heating problem. It turns out i dont need them. 13", 15" or 17"?

What are you playing on? Boot Camp or OSX? I will never need a cooling fan because the fans on the mac does their job. What games do you play? I have even overclocked my 320M(You probably have the 330M which will run hotter along with the i5 or i7 1st gen core) and i havent really seen any temperature changes yet on the Windows side. I still feel it runs alright with my keyboard cover on. Dont forget. The main air intake is not the keyboard. If you actually open up the MBP and look, there is so little space(and i think no space at all)for any air to get pass the keyboard down to the fan. From what I've seen opening my MBP yesterday, air goes in and goes out the same place as the fan which is the space behind the screen and the body(I see this because of the little trails of dusts it lefts behind when sucking the air out).

And if you are afraid of MBP heating up, run your fans at a minimum of 3000rpm(default is 2000rpm). Use LubbosFanControl on Windows side since its specially made for Windows on Mac and use SMCFancontrol on OSX side to specify the minimum and maximum fan speed

The intel chip part is correct

FALSE INFO on the keyboard cover

5. w00t951 thread starter macrumors 68000

w00t951

Unfortunately, I have the latest i7 2.3 GHz quad core, 1 GB ATI Radeon 6750 MBP. I guess there would be no lasting damage to the computer, but I have had frame rates in some games drop when my computer gets a bit hot.

As for the games I play (in Boot Camp, Win 7, 64 bit): Mass Effect 2, Dead Space 2, Bad Company 2, Black Ops, Modern Warfare 2, Just Cause 2, Resident Evil 5, Super Meat Boy (xD), Team Fortress 2, Crysis Warhead/Wars, and Crysis 2.

6. deadlystriker macrumors regular

deadlystriker

Moshi is the absolute best when it comes to keyboard covers. It does not "trap" heat as bad as the iskin, which I think is 2 times thicker (I've had both, returned the iskin in a day).

7. BAC5.2 macrumors regular

Good info! I use an iSkin, and it seems to work pretty well. I'll have to look into the Moshi. The iSkin is starting to wear out over the Shift, C and N keys.