Air keys: any specialists?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by EdgarZ, Nov 1, 2011.

  1. EdgarZ macrumors newbie

    Nov 1, 2011
    Paris, France
    Hi everyone!

    I tried to clean my Macbook Air A1370 keyboard after I spilled a white mocha (with cream on top...!) on it.
    I removed the keys and cleaned them but broke two hinge key clips (one on the space bar and another one on the x key) by accident.
    Went to the Louvre Apple Store but they want to change the whole keyboard (190euros) and said they can't order the hinge clips only. As I'm a college student there is no way i can afford that.
    Then I browsed a lot of french forums, sent pictures to specialised french websites but apparently this keyboard is different to the others and no one was able to tell me where to get the keys for this model.....

    I thought I'd ask my American cousins; YOU GUYS!

    Anyone has a clue?



    Attached Files:

  2. EdgarZ thread starter macrumors newbie

    Nov 1, 2011
    Paris, France
  3. Neolithium macrumors 6502a


    Jun 4, 2010
    Wherever the army needs me.
    Have you checked eBay? Though that may be a relatively expensive option too considering what you'd be shipping, but hey whatever works!
  4. Bob Coxner macrumors 6502a

    Mar 24, 2011
    Check local machine shops. One of them might be able to stamp one out for you for a reasonable cost. In other words, build your own part. Or, they might be able to solder the hinge back together (if you kept the broken part).

    My second option would be to watch eBay and Craigslist for someone selling your model as broken (for parts). Contact the seller and see if they will sell you the hinge clips separately or if they will put you in touch with the person who buys it and see if that person will sell you the clips.
  5. matixryder macrumors member

    Oct 18, 2011
  6. agentphish macrumors 65816


    Sep 7, 2004
    most stores won't want to replace something like that after a spill because they can't guarantee its going to function properly. there's a good chance your computer has white mocha inside it too that will eventually make it stop working.

    According to my friend some stores have that kind of spare stuff laying around in the back. some stores could even pop a key off a replacement top case and give it to you. Thats what they did for me before.

    You could go back, not mention the spill and just say you broke a key off accidentally and see if they give you a replacement key.
  7. EdgarZ thread starter macrumors newbie

    Nov 1, 2011
    Paris, France
    @Neolithium: yeah I did check ebay but there aren't the right hinge clips. It seems like this model of macbook air (A1370) uses different ones than others macbook air....

    @Boxcorner: I've tried but hasnt found any close to my hometown. I'll keep an eye on that though.

    @matixryder: If you check carefully the picture i've uploaded and the website you'll see that the hinge clips aren't exactly the same. Dunno why Apple used these weird hinge clips for the 2010 macbook air.

    @agentphish: are you referring to Apple stores or any Apple retailers??

Share This Page