Air Mouse Questions (mac mini + iPhone)

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by SureShot, May 16, 2009.

1. SureShot macrumors newbie

Hello all! I wasn't sure where to post this as it relates to about 4 different categories here :)

I have been using Plex for the last week and have noticed my movies stopping and booting me to the menu pretty often. I wondered if it was because I was using a G network connection instead of an N. Sure enough, when I switched it up to the N I haven't had a movie boot me yet. (Knock on wood). The problem is, the iPhone is G network only.

My question is: if I buy a dual band router so both G and N can be working at the same time; will I be able to use my iPhone and Air Mouse Pro on the G network to control my Mac Mini that will be on the N network?

I have never used a true Dual Band router but I'm guessing both devices will still be hooked up to the same network just at different speeds.

:apple: Thanks for the help in advance!

2. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

that's an interesting question, but I don't think it's going to work. I think a dual band router really does create two separate networks. Isn't part of the point to prevent the devices on the two networks from interacting with each other?

3. Undecided macrumors 6502a

Yes.

I currently have a Time Capsule (orig.) and Airport Express (orig.). My Wii and iPhone are on g, my ATV and Macbook are on n.

So, the Airport Express (which only does g - new one does n) is plugged into the Time Capsule, extending the TC's network. All the DHCP is done on the TC. Everything is on the same network, and my g devices don't slow down my n devices (I have the TC set to 5ghz n only).

I'm confident that a dual band router works the same way.

It's really just like how wired and wireless devices are all on the same network.

BTW, I plan to use my iPhone (orig.) with Air Mouse as a remote, if I ever get around to getting a mini as a HTPC.

Have you tried running a mixed g/n environment? You won't get full n speed when g devices are communicating, but it might be fast enough.

4. designgeek macrumors 65816

designgeek

^exactly. My Airport Express is hardwired to my Airport Extreme so it can handle the b/g traffic and the AEBS can handle the n traffic. Since they're wired together with ethernet it works.