Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

insimbi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2008
I know there are several threads floating around debating which iPad is better, but I haven't had time to read through each and every post.

Can someone tell me if there are any screen issues with either of these? I heard the Air had issues with a vertical line on the left side, and I've heard the mini has issues with color gamut and yellowing?

Are these issues resolved if I were to order one today?

Lastly, I'm leaning towards the Air. I had a 1st gen mini, and loved the size, but not the screen so much. I think I'm ready to go back to the bigger screen now.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

DaCurmudgen

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2012
I know there are several threads floating around debating which iPad is better, but I haven't had time to read through each and every post.

Can someone tell me if there are any screen issues with either of these? I heard the Air had issues with a vertical line on the left side, and I've heard the mini has issues with color gamut and yellowing?

Are these issues resolved if I were to order one today?

Lastly, I'm leaning towards the Air. I had a 1st gen mini, and loved the size, but not the screen so much. I think I'm ready to go back to the bigger screen now.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Seriously? You lost me at "I know there are several threads floating around debating which iPad is better, but I haven't had time to read through each and every post." Did you read through any?

You've also been on this board for quite a while, so you know the insanity that some MR folks will express in search of the perfect product. Here's my summary:

• iPad Air screens are better than rMini's in gamut, yellowing, and image retention. If you're going to do any serious photography work, your only choice is the Air or -- gasp -- another tablet.
  • Both iPads have screen issues, but more people seem happier with the Air.

• Unless you are a perfectionist, you might not notice ANY of the issues raised here. For example, my rMini is effing awesome.

• These issues will never be resolved to everyone's satisfaction, and you haven't even mentioned any of the other complaints like the rMini speakers, the horrid Air cases, blah, blah, blah.

• If you could care less about putting your iPad in a pocket or a pocketbook, get the Air.
Did I miss anything folks?

Misskitty

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2010
Its simple, one is portable, the other is not.

If you only plan on using it in the house, get air. If you want to take outside get rmini.

If you have good eyes, get rmini.

If you have bad eyes, get air.

JGWolven

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2013

If you only plan on using it in the house, get air. If you want to take outside get rmini.

You didn't bother reading his post. :rolleyes:

insimbi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2008
Seriously? You lost me at "I know there are several threads floating around debating which iPad is better, but I haven't had time to read through each and every post." Did you read through any?

You've also been on this board for quite a while, so you know the insanity that some MR folks will express in search of the perfect product. Here's my summary:

• iPad Air screens are better than rMini's in gamut, yellowing, and image retention. If you're going to do any serious photography work, your only choice is the Air or -- gasp -- another tablet.
  • Both iPads have screen issues, but more people seem happier with the Air.

• Unless you are a perfectionist, you might not notice ANY of the issues raised here. For example, my rMini is effing awesome.

• These issues will never be resolved to everyone's satisfaction, and you haven't even mentioned any of the other complaints like the rMini speakers, the horrid Air cases, blah, blah, blah.

• If you could care less about putting your iPad in a pocket or a pocketbook, get the Air.
Did I miss anything folks?

Thanks, I did read through some other threads, but didn't have a ton of time earlier today. I have been on MacRumors for awhile and so I appreciate some of the quick responses that can come from this forum, and when you need a quick answer to an Apple product question, I've been able to trust MR most times.

Thanks for taking the time to respond with what you know so far. I wasn't aware of any issues with the rMini speakers or the Air cases being horrid.

Anyways, thanks for your opinions and feedback - I appreciate your help.

gtmac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
I must be the only person that takes my Air to work as I like the screen size. I use the mini at home and in bed as it's very easy to hold.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008

What if you have bad eyesight, but still want an iPad to take outside? :rolleyes:

OP -- pay no attention to the screen complaint threads, just get the size you like better. Chances are, you'll get a screen without any issues. Just don't be OCD running screen tests and comparing with other devices. If it looks good out of the box, and there are no noticable defects under normal usage condition, then you're good to go.

insimbi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2008
What if you have bad eyesight, but still want an iPad to take outside? :rolleyes:

OP -- pay no attention to the screen complaint threads, just get the size you like better. Chances are, you'll get a screen without any issues. Just don't be OCD running screen tests and comparing with other devices. If it looks good out of the box, and there are no noticable defects under normal usage condition, then you're good to go.

Good advice!

itsmefudge

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2009
Middle of the Pacific
My $0.02 If you can afford the Air, go Air. If you need to save that $100. Get the retina mini.
As thin as the Air is, it pretty much closed the gap for me when upgrading.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.