Air or MPB?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by rdettogni, Jun 4, 2012.

1. rdettogni macrumors newbie

Hi,

I am waiting for the new MacBooks but I can't decide in favor of a new macbook or a macbook air.

What I need from a notebook is:

1st: Portability - Battery life and Weight

2nd: Thermals - It must run cool

3rd: Power - I use my mac to run optimization algorithms using Xcode and this demands a lot of RAM (4 GB does a good job although is not perfect) and processing power (The 2.4 Ghz of my Core 2 duo is okay, but struggles with high demanding codes).

So, could the new Air with Ivy Bridge meet the computational power that I need, and stay cool, or I will have to go with a macbook pro and loose the portability aspect.

Any tips on this I would gladly appreciate. I am using a mac with core 2 duo for almost three years now and I have no idea "how fast" a ULV Sandy (or Ivy) bridge compare to it.

Thanks

2. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

A MBP is very portable. Not on the same level as the Air, but not a pain to carry around. I would wait to see what comes with the Air update. If RAM is important for what you do, and the Air comes standard with 4GB again and is expensive to upgrade, I would go with the Pro.

3. chanyitian macrumors regular

I think that if you need great processing power, go for the MBP 13 inch model. Its not too heavy to carry around and offers good power. It also has up to 7 hrs of battery life so that you dont have to worry about charging your macbook. However, I think that you should make your decision after WWDC, in which Apple is expected to launch new Macbooks. Good luck!!!

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't think you can have battery/size and power when deciding between MBP and MBA.

The MBA is great for mobility, its lighter, smaller but it comes at a cost - CPU/GPU power and lack of expansion.

The MBP is great for all around computing, but its heavier/larger then the MBA.

If you need power, then go with the MBP, if you don't need a fast GPU then the 13" MBP is a great machine.

5. lixuelai macrumors 6502a

The MBA also has a higher resolution display (assuming the MBP 13 doesn't get it in the update) so its another thing to think about.

6. Tatonnement macrumors newbie

I suggest waiting till the new MBP and MBA come out. Then you can evaluate both options and make an informed decision.

7. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I kind of wonder if it'll see a nice (correction) cpu bump. I recall the 3612QM. That would make for quite a nice 13" and further distance it from the Air.

Also related to the OPs question, both get super hot under load.

Edit edit: how is a macbook pro lacking in portability? I read this all the time. Laptops were never designed as stationary machines. The macbook pro was designed to be portable just like the Air.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The Ivy Bridge CPU/GPU is reportedly better so the MBA will certainly benefit from that, however I think if computer power is high up on the must have list. I think MBPs are still the answer

9. comatory macrumors 6502a

comatory

1. Wait for new MBPro
    2. If the chassis gets lighter, go for it and max out RAM on 13" model
    3. If not, buy the entry 13" model, higher-end not worth the price, max out RAM, get SSD
    4. Winner

10. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

Only thing is, when you add a 256GB SSD and RAM to the 13" MBP you're getting into the $2000+ price range. I suppose that's just the cost you need to pay for the extra power. But at $1,500 the 13" MBA seems like a lot of "bang for the buck" if it will handle your software.

11. rdettogni thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone, it seems that go with the 13 MBP is the better choice if the new version will have a lighter Chassis.

Answering one question, when I say portability is important is because I take 2 subways lines and the train, and later a tram o get to work. The commute is quite long. The computer is always inside the backpack and every gram counts after some time.

Hope the new MPB will be lighter, although the current one is not that bad. Will just be more comfortable to carry around everyday.

A matte display would be great too, although apple only make this option available in the 15 and 17 inch. So unfortunately.

Thanks again.