Air or Pro Retina? Got a great offer

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Geddenmark, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Geddenmark macrumors newbie

Oct 12, 2009

I was going to get the basic 13" Air with 4GB Ram and 128GB SSD, but then I was offered a one week old 13" Retina with 8GB Ram and 256GB SSD for only $50 more.

I am mostly going to use it for running mail, text editing and having a lot of browser windows open at the same time and then I am travelling a lot working on the road so lightness and silent fans matter. Stability is also important which is why I love the Mac's. The screen doesn't make any difference to me. The Retina sounds like a great deal; strong but still light but I heard that there is a lot of issues compared to the Air.

Is the Retina a better choice or should I go with the Air?
  2. 3lite macrumors 6502a

Nov 7, 2011
    I think the answer is pretty obvious here.

Just make sure you're not getting a defective one.
  3. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

Apr 21, 2010
    Agreed. The rMBP is a better laptop in almost every aspect (except processing power, maybe, since the newer MBAs have Intel HD5000 x HD4000 on retina ones.

If the options were only brand new ones, I would get the air with 512GB SSD/8GB RAM/i7. It's lighter, has greater battery life and better performance, albeit it doesn't have a high res screen.
  4. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Oct 9, 2007
    Go with the Retina if the deal is legit - I can't think of any legitimate reason that you'd be offered such a huge price break on a week-old Retina that's still returnable.
  5. MeUnix macrumors 6502

Aug 21, 2013
    San Francisco
    Definitely the rMBP. Make sure it is in full working order and has no defects though.
  6. vistadude macrumors 65816

Jan 3, 2010
    I'd go with the macbook air. Better graphics, better processor, nearly double the battery life. It will probably get more updates for OS X and Windows bootcamp since it's newer. The retina has a lot of problems with display quality and slow graphics performance. Also the air is much thinner.
  7. Geddenmark thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 12, 2009
    I prefer the Air, I was only worried that 4GB of Ram wouldn't be enough. However the battery and lightness will probably win me over, though it haven't got the power that the rMBP offers.

By the way the offer on the rMBP is legit. One of my friends got it from work, but don't really need it, so he offered it to me at a good price because he knew that I was looking for a new Mac.
  8. MeUnix macrumors 6502

Aug 21, 2013
    San Francisco
    If you know the rMBP is a legitimate deal, why wouldn't you go for it? ;)

Just my $0.02

- Kyle
  9. Geddenmark thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 12, 2009
    Because it really was an Air that I wanted and I had also bought a new Haswel model but not opened it yet because I was in doubt if 4GB Ram was enough. Anyway I ended up opening it and am using it now.

Would never buy a stolen laptop. Morally it would be wrong but it wouldn't be wise either. I got an electronics insurance which covers all of my home electronics, so buying an expensive laptop without an official receipt would be quite a gamble, especially with the problems that some of the retina displays have had.
  10. WillFisher macrumors 6502

Feb 19, 2011
    I love my Air and think its amazing.

But for that price, the retina seems much better. More for your buck.
    Go with the Retina, as long as its all intact etc.
  11. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

Nov 2, 2010
    Encino, CA
    I like both laptops, but for only $50 more, they're selling you a Retina? That's the better deal. Now, when are you ever going to get a deal like that again? I'd buy that in a heartbeat.
  12. hallidc macrumors 6502

Sep 26, 2013
    I purchased a haswell Air shortly after it was released then found a retina macbook with a case as well as extended Apple Care for dirt cheap. So far I love the retina. Initially I was worried about the battery life...Apple states that the battery life is around 8 hours, however with my settings I'm topping 9-10 hours before charge.

I'd say go for the Retina.
  13. Geddenmark thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 12, 2009
    So far I am very satisfied with the Air, and it has had plenty of speed, so even though the Retina might have been a better deal I don't regret it.

In Denmark you can't return the laptop after breaking the wrapping so I am going to stick with it, but thank you for all of the input.
  14. mr.bee macrumors 6502a

May 24, 2007
    Brussels, belgium
    get the rmbp and return it back to the store. Take the credit and wait for the new rmbp to be released this week.