air or pro - which one is more robust?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by maenad, Jul 8, 2013.

1. maenad macrumors newbie

We're planning to replace my 2006 macbook with either a pro or an air. Which one?...

We are really happy with the macbook - it works really well considering its age, but the hardware is clearly weaker than it used to be. We don't need any software that isn't in the white macbook - the only complaints we have are:

1. it's heavy
    2. the machine gets too hot
    3. the battery only lasts about 100 minutes now
    4. the keyboard breaks away at the edges and the machine gets dirty inside.

Most importantly, the computer is in the house with a heavy smoker and a cat who takes every opportunity to sit on the keyboard. Between the cat hair and smoke, the old macbook is struggling.

We are only considering a Pro because we hope it might be stronger. Is that the case, or shall we get an Air?

Thanks!

2. Buckaye macrumors member

based on what you wrote - I am assuming your definition of robust is physically durable?

I would say that the Pro feels more durable - but I would say (having both in my house) the only place that I feel the Air is flimsier is the screen because it is thinner in general so it would be easier to torque it in such a way as to crack it.

However - I feel like they are both pretty durable and have never felt either would break without some fairly significant event (such as dropping or sitting on it hard (unless your cat is a 250 pounder - I think your biggest worry will be cat hair in the vents :) )

----------

regardless of the machine (by the way) you'll need to open it up from time to time and blow it out with compressed air in the environment you are describing. Smoke (soot) and cat hair could be causing your over heating issues.

It's not that hard to pull the bottom off and blow some air on it...

3. leman macrumors 604

If you are talking about physical durability, there is no difference. And - both will dent or break if you drop them ;)

4. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

The rMBP definitely feels more durable than the MBA, although the only practical difference is the screen is sturdier, as it's behind glass.

Of course if you're that concerned, I would get an air and a hard shell style case for it. It'll be about the same weight as the MBP, but thinner, and with a shell that you can change out as you like.

5. fratey macrumors regular

I can second this - the Air screen is extremely easy to crack, and mine managed to crack itself in front of my eyes. Sadly, Apple did not take responsibility and wanted $950 to fix it.

6. trigonometry macrumors 6502

trigonometry

I prefer the Pro. The Air feels flimsy and cheap. It's one of the reason I got rid of it. That being said, I think they have same level of durability. The Pro is definitely heavier and you'll notice it if you've been using an Air. Coming from any other computer I think you'll be fine with the weight of a Pro. Both get hot.

7. Photics macrumors regular

Wow, it's the opposite for me. Back in 2009, I bought a Macbook Pro, but I returned it because I didn't feel comfortable with it. I felt like I would drop it and it would break. But the Macbook Air, especially the 11" one, that feels more cozy to me. It's like a great couch companion.

Also, the Air is cheaper. While the Macbook Pro is more powerful, I'm not sure if the extra cost justifies the extra power.

8. FrankB1191 macrumors 6502a

When I told the Apple store salesman that the Pro looked stiffer than the Air, he said they were about the same. I immediately grabbed one of each, and torqued their screens, and then the bottoms. The Pro is stiffer. :D
    P.S. I'm no girly-man, and really gave them a workout. They advertise the strength of the unibody design, and these are display models.....

9. philosopherdog macrumors 6502a

philosopherdog

The air is totally flimsy. You could snap it in half without effort. I had one that needed its display replaced twice by just transporting it protected in a knapsack. Not durable at all. I was going to add that it's pretty easy to open your current machine and clean it, or even take it to a Genius Bar. If you're nice to them and don't cough all over them, they might take pity on you and clean the fan out, maybe even for free. Do that anyway, before you kill the CPU. The fan is so full of crud that it could even cause a fire. Say that to the Genius Bar, namely that you're worried it might catch on fire. That will have them cleaning it out for you! Consider the non-retina pro if you want a laptop that's pretty durable. The retina needs an update for it to be considered solid enough, although it's tons more durable than the air. I would put the lid down on the machine when you're not using it. Don't let your cat sit on it. That's a fire hazard seriously. Maybe if you get it cleaned and get the fan tested to make sure it's not fried the machine might just do you for a few more years yet.

10. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

My suggest for you, OP, is..before you buy either MBP or MBA, please quit smoking and say good bye to your cat…I mean give your cat to new family. :apple:

11. esskay macrumors 6502

Since it sounds like you're using the machine at home, how about connecting an external display, keyboard and mouse/trackpad? Then your cat can do a jig on your desk and your Mac will be fine!

12. maenad thread starter macrumors newbie

sounds good... I think we'll clean out the macbook first!

and since there's a difference of opinion, we'll go for the air and use the macbook in places where robust-ness matters. We'll definitely get a shell, too - I didn't know they existed.

(Yes, I was talking about physical strength.)

13. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Still confused about when 5lbs became "too heavy".

14. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Either the Air or the Pro is going to be fine for this. I'm not sure why the worry.

15. old-wiz macrumors G3

I've seen reports of Apple denying warranty coverage for smokers. whether it's valid or not I don't know.

16. tehsprayer macrumors member

17. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

Have both home and the MacBook Pro does feels stronger than the Air.