Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MikeArtworks

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 1, 2015
Hey guys!

I'm pleased to say that I've yesterday bought a wonderful retina 5k iMac.

Everything is good, love it! Works great with my iPhone and macbook pro retina too.

Only thing I'm wondering if it's normal to have a ever so slightly small amount of air coming out of the bottom speaker holes of the iMac, It's mainly when playing music (speaker quality is TOP NOTCH!! Wonderful!). It's not much, you can just feel it a little.

Thanks! :)

interstella

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2013
Suffolk, England
Sound is produced by air moving (to keep the physics simple). Perfectly normal. If I turn my hi-fi up loud I can feel the moving air produced by the loudspeakers from 3 metres away!

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Hey guys!

I'm pleased to say that I've yesterday bought a wonderful retina 5k iMac.

Everything is good, love it! Works great with my iPhone and macbook pro retina too.

Only thing I'm wondering if it's normal to have a ever so slightly small amount of air coming out of the bottom speaker holes of the iMac, It's mainly when playing music (speaker quality is TOP NOTCH!! Wonderful!). It's not much, you can just feel it a little.

Thanks! :)

There are also air vents at the bottom of your mac for cooling... your fans will always be spinning a little and this may account for what you are feeling.

milleron

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2014
Columbus, Ohio
Ah okay, thanks!

If you do not feel it, then something's wrong. The late-model 27" iMac seems to run a lot cooler than its predecessor, but even it has to have a fan exhaust, and Apple has moved those ports from the top, where they were needed for optimum exhaust with the previous heat. A 2010 27" iMac had upward-directed exhaust so hot that you couldn't comfortably touch the top of the computer. Now, the Retina iMac produces so little heat that they don't even need to vent it upwards any longer. I can usually feel the bottom exhaust, but, remarkably, it usually feels literally cool, never hot, which is why you didn't immediately recognize it as exhaust from the heat sinks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.