Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beangibbs

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2011
I've been wondering if the Intel graphics in the Air could handle Adobe Illustrator, or Sketchbook Designer.
Just some light illustrations, nothing like Photoshop, or any 3D rendering.
I had been looking at an iMac, but I convinced myself after some time that a purchase like that can wait until after I'm officially in the Marine Corps, and earning a steady pay from the government because that sucker (27 inch ultimate) is not cheap.
For a laptop, I'd honestly rather have a MacBook Pro with an SSD but for the moment, that goal too, is far too lofty.
I figured an Air would be a viable substitute for the time being.
As far as extra storage, I can always get an external drive, and extra screen real estate...thunderbolt display.

So, I pulled up a 13 inch maxed out Air, with AppleCare, and no extra bs.
I can always buy a printer later that is also AirPrint enabled, so it'll work with my iPad too. (Little sister will get iPad when I get this laptop)

All I need to know is this: for what it is, can it do what I'm asking, which is simple Illustrator work, no weird effects or heavy renderings?

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
It should be able to handle light photo editing without a problem. No, it won't be as fast as a MacBook Pro with an SSD, but it still has a very good processor. The HD 3000 GPU isn't great, but it is at least acceptable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.