Air-play

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Tech198, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Tech198 macrumors G4

Any reason why the Airplay icon in iTunes and Finder appear, even if ATV is unplugged from wall outlet ??

Airplay is on in Settings >> Airplay, but Apple TV is NOT on....

The plug is pulled... So whats the point of the Airplay icon still appearing if its the only one with the Airplay setting on ?

We have 2 ATV's but one is switched off, so that only leaves my one..

Turning off Airplay in Settings removes this icon on Mac, but i'm just wondering why it still visable when it shouldn't

2. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Did you try restarting iTunes? Was the AppleTV on when you opened iTunes.

3. Tech198 thread starter macrumors G4

Yes.. I tried closing iTunes and re-opened, it still appeared.

As a work-around i unchecked "Show mirroring options in menu bar when available" in System Preferences > Display, but it still appears in iTunes.

4. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

When you say you've two AppleTVs but one is switched off, do you mean so that one is still plugged in? If so, that's likely why the Airplay icon is appearing. Even if the AppleTV is 'sleeping', it still appears in the Airplay popup menu.

5. Tech198 thread starter macrumors G4

One Apple TV is constantly plugged, and in 'sleep' Air-play is turned "Off" in Settings. while the other ATV has Air-play ON, BUT unplugged..

The issue, even in this instance I still get the Airplay icon display in iTunes/Finder. I know which Apple TV is causing this icon to Apple because when i Airplay "Off" on mine, the icon does go away. but if left on, and Apple TV unplugged, the icon still remains..

Why is this ? Latest iOS installed on ATV's

6. wcdamsch macrumors member

You can within the ATV settings give each a unique name, at least then you could identify which one is appearing in ITunes.... just a thought.

7. mreed911 macrumors member

Airplay uses DNS via Bonjour. Just because you turn off the device doesn't mean the entries disappear. Either wait until they time out or flush your DNS cache.