iPad Air Playit HD video wifi streaming alternative?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Sepultura, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Sepultura, Dec 11, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2013

Sepultura macrumors regular

I use an app called Air Playit HD to stream videos from my computer to my iPad. Probably the greatest app ever, except it doesn't work in iOS 7. It will not go landscape mode and I have looked it up and there is no fix because it doesn't seem to be developed anymore.

I have an iPad first generation, but my cousin got an iPad Air. The app opens videos, but no landscape mode so it's not enjoyable.

Alternatives I have tried...

- AirVideoFree - only shows 3 of your videos. You have to constantly refresh to get through your entire movie collection. Waste of time...

- OPlayerHD Lite - Cannot decode 1080p. Air Playit HD decodes 1080p no problem on my iPad 1. OPlayerHD is also ad supported and they show in your full screen videos...

- PlayerExtreme - Cannot watch videos over Wifi without paying for their addons.

Are there any FREE alternatives to Air Playit HD? No ads in fullscreen or crappy apps that cannot decode 720p/1080p.

Thanks

* Just tried VLC Streamer Free. It also sucks. It's ad supported in fullscreen and also it has to BUFFER videos. Super slow and weak.

2. Skika macrumors 68030

I would suggest investing a bit of money and actually buying the app Air Video HD.

3. SenorDD macrumors newbie

4. adnbek macrumors 65816

adnbek

So you want an app that's free, with no limitations and no ads? Right... Perhaps the developer should pay you as well for using their app?

Skip that latte and pay for Air Video HD.

5. Sepultura thread starter macrumors regular

Air Playit HD was free, no ads, clean interface, and simple. It just doesn't work with iOS 7.

Android has tons of players that have no ads and do exactly what I want.

I don't think it's asking a lot since I was using a free one in the first place.

The the other alternatives suck at transcoding.

6. HengenJL macrumors 6502a

HengenJL

Take a look at Tonido, it's free and works really well. I've been using it for a couple of months now and really like it.

7. adnbek macrumors 65816

adnbek

Gee, I wonder why. Cause, meet consequence.

Then go to Android.

I don't think paying less than 3 bucks for software as useful as video transcoders/streamers is asking a lot either.

You get what you pay for.

8. Sepultura thread starter macrumors regular

The developer of Air Playit HD is working on another project. That is why it has not been updated.

This free app is better than any paid one or any other free alternative. As I said already... Clean, simple, and does the job.

The iPad should have wifi streaming native in the first place. It's pretty sad you actually need an app to do this.

9. Sepultura thread starter macrumors regular

Ok I gave it a shot. It is definitely better than the others I tried. At least it doesn't take 5 minutes to buffer a video.

It does have problems though.

- Streaming to iPad puts computer CPU usage to nearly 100%. I didn't have this problem with Air Playit HD.

- When opening a video, it does not start at the beginning. You have to rewind it.

- I cannot add favorites. It says 'add failed' when trying to add files/folders to favorites. I tried adding a new favorites folder and using 'default' but no luck.

10. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

FileBrowser plays video on remote computers and NAS drives, works well but it's not free either.

11. HeadshotSK macrumors member

HeadshotSK

Hi,

I'm not sure what exactly I'm missing with Air Playit.

I have the app installed on iOS7, on iPhone.
    I have Mav's, and the latest Mac Server .dmg popped open and installed.

I can't figure out how to join!
    The instructions online are written in English but obviously translated from some foreign tongue that doesn't make any sense whatsoever, and the Forum is 90% spambot ad junk. No, I really don't want to sell LeBron James sunglasses, thank you.

Simply put, I just want to let my home Mac beam out my entire iTunes playlist to my iPhone wherever I may be, in the car, at my store (iPod on router) etc.

Don't need video! Just wanna hear my entire iTunes 20k song majesty in all her glory wherever I may roam.

I just can't figure out, do I use the Local IP address? Internet IP address? It keeps saying 'can't join network' or something.

Thanks!!

12. paronga macrumors member

paronga

seems dead on 10.9 with iOS 7. bleggh. Just forked over for Air Viedo HD. I wil not be regretting that!!

13. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

It DOES have wifi streaming if you play files that are natively compatible with iOS. Even non-compatible files can be streamed with plenty of apps. What you want to do is play non-compatible files from a source other than iTunes. Why would Apple support that?

Air Video HD is THREE freaking dollars and works flawlessly every time. Are you really so cheap that you'll keep trying all sorts of sub-par programs wasting who knows how much time to save $3? If this is the attitude of a typical Android user it's no wonder Android is plagued with so many second-rate apps. You get what you pay for, and the best developers are not going to develop and maintain quality software for free. That's likely what happened with your previous program - a skilled developer put it together as a side project, probably to teach himself something - then realized that maintaining it and especially, dealing with demanding users like yourself who want everything for free, is not worth their time. I actually think that apps on iOS are generally not expensive enough - I want the absolute best quality available, and am willing to pay for it!

14. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

From a DLNA server like PS3MediaServer?

I use AcePlayer. It's great. No ads, continues playing even when I close the cover on my iPad. It can decode mkv, etc. However; MP4 files have the best result. I can't remember the glitches mkv files had, it's a funky format with no hardware acceleration on mobile devices, I've just gotten in the habit of avoiding it in general.

It toggles frequently between free and a couple bucks.

15. HeadshotSK macrumors member

HeadshotSK

To the OP's credit, there's something in a challenge of trying to find the best thing for free just for fun and sometimes it's not even about the money. Nut when you realize you have 15 min. of time put in and it's not working they way you want it's either put another 15 min. in or waste the previous 15 min. LOL! Then it becomes hour, and then day. Kind of like going on backroads on my my harley, I THINK this road will keep going around the mountain, but after screwing around for a half hour I can see it turns to mud and gravel so I have to turn back ')

At any rate, I've finally found 2 things that seem to work amazingly right now (until the net OSx or iOS lol..):

MediaLink- $20
    Mac to Airport to PS3
    all 20k songs and any folder of pics or movies you damn well please, show up on your PS3 menu. Even iTunes subfolders in playlists, etc.

tech support is virtually non-existent. If you have a setting wrong forget it getting any response from them.

PLEX - $5
    Mac (not asleep lol) to Airport to up there to anywhere I am, Verizon 3g/4g/LTE whatever the hell it's called OR WiFi network.
    Any song, playlist, playlist and folder, iPhoto collection, chosen folders with movies, on iPhone.

Plex Server that runs off your browser is free, but the app is $5.
    I think it runs on almost any phone type or OS, even Linux.
    Outstanding Forums.

16. Dameatball macrumors member

Dameatball

agreed- well said. The OP is comical/delusional.