Air pods health concerns

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by zenbearbro, Jun 16, 2018.

1. zenbearbro Suspended

I jut got the AirPods. Very cool.

I know that there has been a lot of debate about the wireless radiation. I find many conflicting reports online.

Is there anyone who can support solid research in showing that they are or are not harmful in regard of giving of radiation?

Please no hate discussion here. Just like to figure out how they affect us. I know there is radiation everywhere but I do stick them inside my head. Currently considering sending them back to Apple.

However if I can be convinced otherwise I might keep them.

Anyone up for a healthy discussion?

Ben

2. Relentless Power, Jun 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2018

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I highly doubt there’s any conclusive studies that actually show anything the AirPods having any type of relation to radiation. It’s no different then be exposed to a microwave, the sun or even using your iPhone on a daily basis. I would expect those to be just as harmful, if not more than the AirPods.

My advice is if you’re uncomfortable with them because of that reason Soley, then I would send them back to Apple if you think you can’t enjoy them based on that notion. Also, it would also depend on how often you’re using something like this that you think it would be detrimental to your overall health.

3. ericwn macrumors 68030

Why are you worried about Bluetooth on your AirPods when it’s just one of the accessories for a phone that also uses cellular connectivity, Bluetooth, WiFi, NFC etc?

Wouldn’t you rather discard it all?

4. chabig macrumors 603

5. thizisweird macrumors member

thizisweird

So let me be the weirdo who links you to youtube...... but trust me when I say this one isn't a crock. It's made by the channel Veritasium ;)

To add my two cents: I find it amusing that people find this stuff scary. I'll admit that I was aboard that train myself, and I've simply learned more about these things over time. My sister actually is worried about certain things giving her son/my nephew "too much" radiation.... to which I asked her "Do you let him near the microwave while it's running? If so, your level of concern makes me wonder why he isn't outside when you warm up dinner." A bit on the exaggerated end, but it's not too far from the truth.

Radiation is a topic that deserves its own comprehensive crash course. In all honesty, when it comes to phones and "causing" cancer... the "science" behind what we have seen published is quite shaky. To steal a comment from this video, "If the radiation is too weak to mutate DNA, then there is no rational reason to link brain tumors to cellphone use. We can do studies to demonstrate that fact, but every scientist's hypothesis should be the same knowing the information at the beginning of the video." I think this is the core of what we need to understand. If we're looking for solid evidence that these things do/don't cause cancer, it won't be found for either side.

I could be entirely dated with what I know off the top of my head, but I'm sure a truly groundbreaking study concerning mobile phones causing cancer wouldn't go unnoticed in the mainstream press; especially if it were published in a reputable scientific journal.

6. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

The problem with this is that there isn't enough scientific data to form a solid conclusion as cell phone technology has only been around for less than 30 (at least to the average consumer). Sure, younger folks have developed cancer after using cell phones for most of their lives but what else contributes to that?

7. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

I’m weary of the spectrum that cell voice and data go through, but far less about BT.

8. chabig macrumors 603

True, but radio waves have been around for about 14 billion years, and man has been creating them for a few hundred. If EM waves in the radio spectrum were hazardous I think we'd see evidence by now. To my knowledge there is none. It would have to be a causal link too. Just saying that someone used a cellphone and got cancer isn't good enough. We all ride in cars and die. We all eat with forks and die. Damn those forks!

9. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

My point exactly. Without isolating test subjects from everything other than using cell phones there's really no way to definitively attribute it to anything other than "life in a hazardous world".

Unless you live in California. Then it definitely causes cancer.

10. thizisweird macrumors member

thizisweird

100% man. This is the part that most people don't fully grasp about science; you need to have something to back up your claim to have validity in the scientific community. If there is little more than a correlation, then we can't change our approach due to a "maybe." If there's more of a proper causal link found, science requires further research before we can make a statement that is based on some form of "fact"..... or, at the least, a perceived fact.

I don't think we'll be able to accurately pinpoint everything any time soon, mostly due to phones being so prevalent. And what I find interesting about the Swedish study mentioned in my linked video is that Sweden is (unofficially) the most digitally connected country in the world. You are almost non-existent if you don't have a mobile phone. Hell, Spotify was founded by two Swedes (and is currently a Swedish entertainment company); and Skype was co-founded by a Swede. Their society is heavily reliant on being digitally connected. In fact, when I was looking into expat work in Sweden, I found out that you pretty much need a cell phone to get a job. They aren't as lenient as some parts of the US, as I've known many people in my local area who've managed pretty swell jobs without a phone number to reach them.

I guess I'm trying to say that we're too far into the mobile phone craze/whatever to be able to gather this data with the accuracy we desire. Unless we do properly controlled studies, we'll likely only know our official answers as time goes by. This entire topic is being questioned a bit too late, and with very little real evidence to support the idea that we need to look into this on a far more serious level.

But yeah.... totally agreed about living in California lmao