Air Port Extreme Card for Mac Pro Question.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Gunga Din, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Gunga Din macrumors 6502

Ok, again, this will be my first Mac. The Airport Extreme Card. How exactly can i use that?

Say the internet cable is plugged into the Mac Pro. Can I then use that AEC inside to act as a router or sorts? So if i'm using my iTouch downstairs, can I access my Mac Pro upstairs for internet usage and can I also get my iTunes music off it with an iTouch?

Just need an idea of how this card is used. Thanks.

2. Toups macrumors regular

The Airport card is used in place of Ethernet connectivity

For example, you have wifi in the house from your router, then you can connect the mac pro wirelessly. this would be used if your Mac Pro and router are not in the same room, as is the case in my house :-(

3. SilverL macrumors member

Yes, you can also use your MacPro's Airport to share your Ethernet network connection.

4. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Is the AirPort Extreme Card installed in a PCI-E slot?

5. newtech macrumors 6502

The AE card is installed in a dedicated 1X PCI-e/USB slot next to the dedicated BT USB connector.

6. Gunga Din thread starter macrumors 6502

My Mac Pro will be right next to ethernet access, so I can just plug it in, the Mac Pro itself wont have to be wireless. Can I use it as a hub for my network? Using the ethernet pluged into it and then having other devices like an iTouch or Macbook use it wirelessly from the Airport?

7. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

yes, your ipod touch and macbook will be able to share your internet connection with your MP if you get the airport card. your ipod touch won't be able to stream from your itunes, but your macbook will.

8. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

You should be able to hand out addresses via DHCP, but bear in mind that your MP will have to be turned on for this network to function. Unless you are planning to be "always on", I would really recommend a wireless router.

9. Gunga Din thread starter macrumors 6502

I see your point. I'll hold off on going wireless until i pick up an iTouch or Macbook. Which may be a long time down the road after this purchase lol.