Air Port Extreme??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hms84, Sep 20, 2009.

1. hms84 macrumors regular

Hi Mac Rumors :), and Happy Eid!

I have a Linksys WRT350N V2 (EU). I've been having lots of problems lately. It hangs allot from over heating. So I mounted a fan on it, but the same result :mad:

Anyway, I'm looking through my options in here... Air Port Extreme is one of them.

I have Motorola WiMax CPEo35400 as modem. I do allot of streaming from Mac Pro to PS3 (So Gigabit is a must). I want something very good with media. So I thought about Air Port Extreme. I don't really care about Wi-Fi speed "G" is enough. But it'll be good to have "N" for future who knows?

Do you recommend Air Port Extreme? Or something else?
    And I have an open budget. I really want to buy something good.

Thanks, :cool:

2. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...I'm really happy with my SDB AEBS... but I did get it right after the models changed...

If the 1TB time capsule was the price it is now, I may have gotten that instead due to the same feature set of the AEBS and the HDD's I have plugged into the USB port on it...

Only thing I still don't like about the TC is they seem to run very warm/hot...

I guess its better to have the AEBS vs the TC due to the fact that the HDD's are easier to access if they end of having any problems with the drives...

If you have a WiMax modem, do you need a wifi access point (I'm not familiar with your model of modem)?...

3. hms84 thread starter macrumors regular

Hi J&JPolangin,
    it's a huge modem placed on the roof of my house, it's very fast and works very nice. But with one Ethernet only. So I have to use a Router.

I have no interest in Time Capsule My Mac Pro has 3 TB. :D

Do you know this router from D-Link, D-Link DIR-655 Extreme N Wireless Router. It looks very nice and CNET review is good too...

4. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

How have you isolated it down to the router?
    i am sking because I went through a couple of routers only to find out that I didn't have enough DHCP address in my network. As a reslt I had two devices with the same IP locking up the router.
    The othe instance the DHCP assigned from the cable company was timing out causing the cable modem to stop communicating with the router, well the router kept on trying to update the its own DHCP but couldn't.

I have a slew of linksys routers and the Airport Extreme.
    When all said an done at the end of the day it performs as well as a $50 router. There are some nice features to is, such as the guest network, the ability to connect usb devices to is making network shares a snap. If you need the features of the AE it maybe worth it.
    My overall netwok performances is the same with the AE and the WRT410 linksys.

5. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...they get good reviews but I've not really been a fan of belkin or D-link unless I get the item for a really good price on the item compared to a similar item from Linksys or Buffalo (popular in Japan)...

That WiMax modem sounds cool, why don't you just use that wirelessly and get a gigabit hub/switch for the one cable you have coming out of the WiMax modem?

6. hms84 thread starter macrumors regular

On the Router side I'm using manual address (Static IP) in the Internet Setup.
    Then in other devices side everything uses Static IP too (Mac Pro, PS3...).
    I'll look into this IP thing and go back to all the IPs in my network.

7. hms84 thread starter macrumors regular

You know that is a really great idea. I never though of that. Hub/Switches have very less problems than those Routers.

Are you Japanese? Your English is VERY good (Comparing to my Japanese friends). :cool:

8. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...I'm not Japanese yet, I've only been here since 9/96 :D...

9. NorCalLights macrumors 6502a

I switched from a Linksys piece of crap to an Airport Extreme (right after they upgraded to Gigabit) and 100% of my network problems went away. I used to have to reboot my router every day... now my Airport has been running flawlessly for 2 years, and I only reboot it when there is a firmware update.

10. hms84 thread starter macrumors regular

Really?
    Thank You for your feedback, I'm very confused right now :confused::confused::confused:
    I don't know what to buy!!

11. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

Definitely get an Airport Extreme. I had a Netgear router, it was ok until it just wanted to die. I went to Best Buy and bought an Airport Extreme, and wow! I love the guest network, the Bonjour software, and lots of other things. Definitely recommend the Airport Extreme.

12. akbc macrumors 6502

Yeah, I had a Linksys WRT300N (one of the very first wireless-N routers... hate being an early adopter sometimes) and it kept on losing connection and went all crazy.

Then I got the Belkin N1 Vision, which kept on overheating and also started to lose connection on a random basis which made me reboot couple of times.

Then I moved on to the Airport Extreme, and it worked all so finely with all my Macs and windows PC's, wireless and wired.

Now I'm using a Time Capsule but the experience is still the same. Awesome router that lets you do much more than just sharing internet connection.

13. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

With most of the new routers / firmwares they offer a static dynamic addressing feature. The router assigns an ip address by the devices mac address then issues the same address to that particular device. This is a zero configuration function to the device. It's all done in the router.

14. 5DollaFootlong macrumors 6502

5DollaFootlong

I too am a proud owner of an Airport Extreme Base Station. Dual-band is great and this router has yet to malfunction, unlike my previous piece of **** linksys router.

15. hms84 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I know this one, but I usually do it in the computer side.

Thank you all for your help, I think I'm getting me an Air Port Extreme!! :D

Amazon here I come :apple::apple::apple: