Air Port question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by artypeguy, Jul 6, 2012.

1. artypeguy macrumors newbie

My mother has an imac with an Air port card installed. She currently does not have internet access, but the place that she lives will be installing wifi next week. My question is, will she be able to access the internet via wifi with just the Air port card or will she need something additional. Also what will the process be to get her up and running.

Thank you!
    Dave

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

She should be all set to go. Just plug in the wifi settings from the apartment or condo people into her computer and off she goes!

3. artypeguy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you so much for your reply. I very much appreciate it.
    Dave

4. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I'd be careful here.

When you say that the place "is installing wifi", is this some sort of apartment building or something? Will she be in control of the wifi-router, or is it a community connection?

If it's a community connection, she runs the risk that the person in control of the wifi router could be intercepting her data and could steal info.

I'm not sure how protected she would be with the Firewall on her Mac turned on and with encryption turned on at the router.

For this reason, I never check e-mail, do online banking, Facebook on a network that I'm not in control, unless I trust the people in control.

Again, maybe I'm just paranoid.

5. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

The OP might want to ask the facility about network security. Of course, if one doesn't understand the answers then it would only be for reassurance.

To the OP: you should definitely make sure your mom's iMac has sharing services turned off.

If we've completely scared you then you could take a look at a VPN service that would shield the data passing through the router/network (such as iVPN).

6. flynz4 macrumors 68040

As someone who travels frequently... I am also very careful. I subscribe to a VPN service (Witopia) and use it whenever attached to a public hotspot.

/Jim