air print compatible printers

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bt22, Dec 21, 2010.

1. bt22 macrumors 6502

wife has offered to buy me an air print compatible printer for christmas. the hp envy has gotten lots of good reviews, but is one of the more expensive printers. anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

2. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

Forget buying an AirPrint compatible printer. Just use Printopia on your existing printer. $9.95

3. bt22 thread starter macrumors 6502

I do not have a printer. Would you recommend buying a regular wireless printer and just using printopia...?

4. bt22 thread starter macrumors 6502

Also, I have Window's PC'S and Mac's so I need something that will work with either.

5. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

If you don't already have a printer than getting an AirPrint compatible one isn't a bad idea since you'll be able to print to it from an iDevice without having a computer on.

6. bt22 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, Best Buy has their Air Print printers on sale this week $50.00 off. Trying to decide between the HP ENVY and the HP Photosmart Premium CN503A

7. yayitsezekiel macrumors 6502a

yayitsezekiel

the photosmarts are usually pretty sweet, i have one and it's fabulous

8. Joined:
    May 30, 2010
    +1 for the photosmart. Great printer.

9. Cartaphilus macrumors 6502a

I've also been looking at the same printers, but I've been slowed down by some of the persuasive negative reviews. Amazon has a bunch of reviews, and while there is a clear, almost overwhelming, satisfied majority, the specificity and credibility of a significant number of negative reviews might be worth taking into consideration.

I've had great luck over many years with a number of HP Photosmart all-in-ones, so I will probably end up overcoming my concerns.

10. bt22 thread starter macrumors 6502

That is why I am asking here. I too read a lot of negative reviews, especially concerning wi-fi and initial setup. I was considering the ENVY due to reviews on Apple and Best Buy being better for that model than the Photosmart. I was able to print some test pages in Best Buy this evening. When using the copy function it produced good colored copies. But when printing as a picture the quality was not nearly as good, as noted in many reviews. Plus the Envy uses two ink cartridges, 1 color and 1 black. Having only 1 color means if any 1 color runs out it renders the others useless and requires replacing the whole cartridge. The photosmart uses individual colors. I guess there is always pros and cons.

11. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

true, but it does depend on the type of printing you are doing.

12. daddy0 macrumors newbie

I used airprint hacktivator (free) and have been happily airprinting on two officially incompatible printers, one wireless, and one hooked up to my imac.

13. MickeyVee macrumors member

MickeyVee

Ditto here. Have a Lexmark 250dn netwokr printer attached to my AirPort Extreme via ethernet (USB works also). Can print wirelessly from 2 Macs, iPad, iPhone4, a Windows 7 & Windows XP machine all on the same network. Works seamlessly.