Air Print confirmed Officially

Discussion in 'iPad' started by macfan881, Nov 10, 2010.

1. melman101 macrumors 68030

Again, this is different then what has been rumored.

AirPrint for HP E-Printers has not been pulled.

The rumor is that AirPrint for printing to shared printers on Macs/PC's has been pulled.

This is meaningless, and actually supportive of the fact that the shared printers support is not there anymore.

2. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

Agreed.

The good news is -- all the pieces seem to be in place. It's possible we could still see support in iOS 4.3 or 4.4 if the feature doesn't get into 4.2.

3. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

AirPrint IS on 4.2. The only place it has been supposedly removed from is 10.6.5 beta.

4. MacVDS macrumors regular

I must be thick as a brick. If you have a shared printer on a wireless network, AirPrint won't work?

5. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

Sorry, I should have been more clear.

I meant that AirPrint support for printing to non-AirPrint compatible printers through your PC might still come in a future version of iOS / MacOS / iTunes.

You're correct that everything on the iPad side is already in place with iOS 4.2.

6. melman101 macrumors 68030

That is what the rumor is.

7. Crosbie macrumors 6502a

Crosbie

This is indeed a rather misleading claim. 4.2 GM fails to find my perfectly functional wifi printer on the same network. No problem printing from all other devices, and indeed from third-party printing apps on iPad. Why oh why can Apple not make this work? SMH.

As with the change to the rotation lock switch, I'm not looking forward to explaining this to my dear old mother when she plugs in her iPad and it gets updated.

"Why does the print button in all my programs not work? You said when it updated printing would be possible."

"Why doesn't the switch work anymore, the one that stops the screen from turning?"

"Oh. Why does it show a picture like it's turned off the sound but the sound doesn't turn off?"

8. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Maybe you should wait until 4.2 is officially out to start complaining. Apple might have removed the functionality from 10.6.5 because of unexpected issues like the ones you're having.