Air print is so easy!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by LiloThePleo, Nov 12, 2010.

1. LiloThePleo macrumors 6502

Maybe I missed something but I found it an absolute cinch to use the air print to print a photo from my iPad to my HP printer. You need to remember though that for a one account computer the username is likely to be your computer name :)

Anyway I wanted to know if anyone could please confirm that air print is still available on the new beta before I go updating my iPad :) Thank you :)

2. TNSF macrumors member

3. LiloThePleo thread starter macrumors 6502

Wonderful, thank you :) I do find it a very handy feature, glad they kept it :)

4. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

AirPrint is on iOS 4.2, but it works out of the box only with printers that support that. At the moment there are three or four HP printers that offer that (ePrint). For the rest there is a trick that allows using any shared printer on a Mac running 10.6.5 with AirPrint.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

^ which I'm hoping for.my HP is connected to my AEBS and it should work. Hell if you use any printer connected to one it should work, imho.

6. LiloThePleo thread starter macrumors 6502

My printer may be a HP but it is an old $50 post office bargain one, no fancy e printer here. As long as it is hooked up to a computer on the same network it should print, the eprinters I would think can manage printing without a computer.

I don't have a Mac either... I printed through my PC running windows 7.

7. imacken macrumors 65816

It won't work if you use the released version of iTunes 10.1. The Airprint service was removed. You'll have to go back to the beta release of iTunes.

8. LiloThePleo thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmm that's a nuisance but no matter, the beta version seems to be working ok, although it is a little buggy I guess it will have to do :eek:

9. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

can anyone help me get airprint working? I have the HP ePrint D110.

Mac OSX 10.6.5
    w/ Airprint Hacktivated
    iTunes 10.1 Beta 2
    iPad with 4.2 GMb

Ive been trying to get the ipad to see the printer for 2 days with different configs and it always says no printers found.

10. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Ensure all three devices are on the same network (mine works on N while printer is on G, Airport Extreme).

You have to remove printer from System Preferences then restart. Then add printer back and under Sharing ensure that Printer Sharing is activated.

11. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

ive done all 3 of those things multiple times. its a pain in the ass cause everytime I delete the printer from settings I have to run the 15 minute setup to get it to show up again.

12. morsecp macrumors regular

morsecp

You also need to change three of the files in the 10.6.5 update. AirPrint was in the beta builds of 10.6.5 and allowed you to print to shared printers. However, this feature was removed from 10.6.5 before the final release last Wednesday. In order to re-enable the feature you have to manually change these three files in the private directory, accessible with a few terminal commands. Just google something like "AirPrint iOS 4.2 instructions" and look for a tutorial on how to do it. There are a ton of them out there that include the three files from the earlier builds that you'll need. I did it myself yesterday and it now works like a charm. Couldn't see any printers before. Very easy as well. Good luck:)

13. morsecp macrumors regular

morsecp

Easy fix.

You also need to change three of the files in the 10.6.5 update. AirPrint was in the beta builds of 10.6.5 and allowed you to print to shared printers. However, this feature was removed from 10.6.5 before the final release last Wednesday. In order to re-enable the feature you have to manually change these three files in the private directory, accessible with a few terminal commands. Just google something like "AirPrint iOS 4.2 instructions" and look for a tutorial on how to do it. There are a ton of them out there that include the three files from the earlier builds that you'll need. I did it myself yesterday and it now works like a charm. Couldn't see any printers before. Very easy as well. Good luck:)

14. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Do iTunes 10.1 on the Mac (final release) or the recent printer updates through software update interfere with AirPrint?

I was particularly concerned about installing those Apple printer releases as they came on the heals of the widespread hacktivation of AirPrint and might write to the cups files.

15. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

you know what the sad part is? I just created a mywi network with my iphone 4. joined both the printer and the ipad and the printer was found immediately! no it makes me think its something to do with my POS fios router.

16. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

finally got it working. i went into the fios router and changed it back to wep from wpa and a bunch of other settings and it finally shows up. my printer is airprint compatible so i thought doing all the itunes hacks and should be unnecessary which was proved when the ipad printed fine thru my mywi network which my mac wasnt even on. not bad for a $69 printer.