Air & Pro Video Editing

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by traze77, Jul 14, 2014.

1. traze77 macrumors newbie

Hello,

I'm on the verge of purchasing a Macbook and want a Macbook Air especially because it is lighter. But I want to do video editing also on Final Cut and iMovie and most of the research I have done seems like Pro is needed for that.

Anyone know if Macbook Air is compatible for that and/or consequences if I use it for editing instead of Pro?

2. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

Really, you should have posted your question in the MacBook Air forum. This forum is for the old MacBooks that were discontinued long ago

http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=122

I still use an old version of Final Cut Pro (6.x) but it runs great on my 2013 11" i7/8gb/512gb MacBook Air. I previously had a 2011 15/4gb/256gb MBA and that also worked fine. Only real difference with the new machine is faster rendering.

I shoot full HD on Sony XDCAM EX 24p HQ. Before getting the first MBA in 2011 I was using a 2008 15" MacBook Pro and the MacBook Air was a big upgrade from that in terms of performance. I like the small size and light weight - my camera, mattebox and tripod are heavy enough already. The fast SSD is also great for video.

Now I used to work with video a lot more than I do today, last year I only did two projects, but I was very pleased with the MBA. If I was doing more video work I would probably want something faster, but I find the little 11" MBA to be a great computer with plenty of power for my own needs. Battery life is great and it's perfect for travel.