iPad Air screen and home button feel so cheap

Discussion in 'iPad' started by justme33, Mar 6, 2014.

1. justme33 macrumors newbie

The screen feels like plastic and the home button feels like it's made by a Chinese knock off company. Coming from ipad 4 is just feels less premium.

2. Rodster macrumors 68040

That's what lighter and thinner gets you. The screen is glass and not plastic as for the home button, I don't use it. Instead I prefer assistive touch.

3. justme33 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I just don't like the feel as much as the 4. Oh well

4. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

I don't have the Air. Does the screen bend when you press it or is it solidly rigid?

5. rockarollr macrumors member

rockarollr

The screen actually bends when you press it. I had a 128GB iPad Air and took it back after having it only 4 days because of the overall "cheap" feel of it. For the money I paid, I wanted something that felt a little more premium and substantial. I went back to my previous iPad (3rd gen) and it felt much more sturdy and well-built. Oh, and the screen doesn't bend nor does it have that hollow "plastic" sound when typed on. I'm sure the OP will know the sound I'm talking about.

6. eneisch macrumors 6502a

I noticed that sound as well when tapping on the glass of my new rMini as compared to my iPad 3.

7. Rodster macrumors 68040

I believe it was the same for the 1st Mini as well. I'm a light tapper so it's no biggie for me but I can see how some might be put off by the cheap sound and feel of the new thinner glass.

8. LostAggie macrumors 6502

Well when they go thinner what do you expect. Doesn't mean it is any less premium... If you want something to compare that is cheap try a Samsung tablet comparison...

9. Pharmscott macrumors 6502a

Pharmscott

I disagree. Using the Air is much more enjoyable that the iPad 3 that I had. Light, fast, perfect.

10. Lynxpoint macrumors regular

Lynxpoint

I don't mind the feel of the air so much, but I do prefer the feel and form of the iPad 1.

What I really find annoying is the lightning connector. I prefer the bigger connecter because it is easier to hold for plugging and unplugging. I can see how people are having fraying issues with lightning cables as there is not much on the plug to hold onto.

11. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

It sounds like you bought a Chinese knockoff. I have no idea what you are talking about. I've had every iPad but the 4 and the Air is every hit as "premium" as they are. If anything is more so.

12. OdT22 macrumors regular

OdT22

13. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Yes it is more enjoyable because it's lighter and faster. But I wouldn't deny the "cheap" feels coming from making it thinner and lighter.

Display glass definitely flexes easily due to its thinness. Feels and sounds like plastic when you tap on it. And there's also this fragile feeling. Lighter and thinner definitely has its own trade off.

14. HenryDJP macrumors 603

I have to disagree, the Air's glass does not flex "easily". Don't exaggerate okay? Save that for someone who doesn't own one to verify that. :rolleyes:

15. Rodster macrumors 68040

Sorry but it does. After I read this thread you can take your finger and lightly press down and you can see the glass flex down. Try doing that towards the center and not close to the edge.

16. HenryDJP macrumors 603

There's nothing for you to apologize for other than for your exaggeration. It does flex slightly with a firm press. It does not flex easily. I do have an iPad Air so I can verify that your post is exaggerating. It really doesn't matter anyway, it's a touch screen, it's not suppose to be pressed upon.

17. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Fine ... Tomayto tomahto ... In my opinion it flexes too easily compared to previous iPad. And I believe it's a necessary compromise to get us a thinner and lighter design. Plus it sounds more like a plastic now, instead of solid glass when I tap on it.

You said it flexes slightly, and I said it flexes easily but in the end it flexes a bit more than it was. Again, compared to previous iPad.

Are you satisfied? Or you want some scientific number on iPad glass bend test too? :rolleyes:

18. HenryDJP macrumors 603

I don't believe I was comparing the Air to the older iPad. The great thing about an opinion is everybody has one.....even when they feel the need to drop sarcastic knee-jerk remarks at the end. ;)

19. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

A knee jerk remark would be accusing people that they exaggerate their post when they don't intend to.

And you see, call me exaggerating as you want, but I'm not the only one to sense that iPad Air build quality is somewhat become a bit flimsy to accommodate the thinner and lighter design.

20. justme33 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes it certainly does. Especially towards the middle of the screen. I can duplicate it anytime I want. It absolutely has a more plastic feel to it. Outside of the screen "glass" everything else is fine but man does it make a difference when typing on it. I don't like it at all.

21. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

I agree 100%. If you give it the squeeze test with the screen off and a reflection of something that has straight lines, like a window or door frame, you can see the distortion with only a slight press. Since I don't think it's going to change in the future I'll learn to live with it. But my iPad 2 felt a lot more solid and sturdy.

22. Rodster macrumors 68040

Yup, it certainly does. I can watch the center of the glass flex just with my index finger. It's a thin glass and does have a plastic/hollow sound to it. You can minimize all of the above by using a stylus with a rubber tip, that's what i'm now doing.

----------

It's possible that's why Apple wants to use sapphire in their products.

23. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

You're right. I forgot about all the sapphire talk. I don't think it'll make it into the next iPad though. Even if it does my iPad 2 became such a dog after I updated to iOS 7 that I had to buy a new one. In the long run I think it'll be fine, though I may not keep it as long as I did the iPad 2.

24. Rodster macrumors 68040

I'm sure we use our iPad's differently but iOS 7 on my iPad 2 seems to run fine and quite smooth. I even find certain areas of the UI to be even more fluid and smooth versus my Air. For example, if I enable assistive touch the UI begins to stutter and judder a little. It was pretty bad prior to iOS 7.1 and after the latest update it's not as obvious but comparing it to my iPad 2 it's still noticeable.

25. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

op you get use to it. At first it felt "different" not cheaper especially the screen. But it's something I don't even think about anymore and my iPad 3 is still hanging around the house collecting dust.