Air SuperDrive software hack lost

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by iPhonetherefore, Jul 2, 2011.

1. iPhonetherefore macrumors regular

Hi, does anyone have a copy of the instructions for modding the OS to allow the external SuperDrive to work on other macs. I had this previously but the site (mac-n-things) has disappeared and i cannot find the intructins anywhere else, thanks in advance
    Rob

2. SmallyBigs macrumors newbie

Anybody? Would love to have this info - got a new MacBook Air and want to run this drive on an old MacBook Pro with a broken optical drive...

3. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

try plugging it into the MBP... I think it would work as my other MBA only accessories work with other macs...

4. Aboo macrumors 6502a

Not the case with the superdrive due to a chip inside the drive assembly that will only allow it to work with MBA and Mac Mini.

OP, as far as I know there was no software hack for this; there is a hardware hack which can be found here:

http://tnkgrl.wordpress.com/2008/06/24/macbook-air-superdrive-for-all/

5. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

Sorry, I know that the usb to ethernet does because I have tried it with others. So would an older superdrive not work with newer minis?

6. m0ssie macrumors newbie

old thread I know, but found this while searching. Have not tried it though.

Needed this Superdrive to add to my 2007 Mac Mini after I added an SSD and a second hard drive for data.

This drive is badass! I had a few issues writing DVD's with the default DVD writer that came with the old Mini. With this drive I haven't had a failure yet.

Oh and for those who say the Superdrive only works on the Macbook Air and the newer Mac Minis all I can say is poppycock!! LOL!!

Here are the instructions on how to make this drive work on ANY Mac.

The trick is to add "mbasd=1" to the Kernel Flags in com.apple.Boot.plist. com.apple.Boot.plist exists by default in Lion, but not in earlier OSes.

There are multiple ways to edit a plist, I'll use TextEdit since every user has it. Since Lion already has com.apple.Boot.plist there are two subsets of instructions, one for Lion and one for all other OS Xes.

Bottom line: com.apple.Boot.plist will look the text between the starred lines when done:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" [...]
    <dict>
    <key>Kernel Flags</key>
    <string>mbasd=1</string>
    </dict>

First, launch TextEdit.

--------------
    For Lion:
    Copy /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist to the Desktop. Drag the file onto TextEdit's icon in the Dock. The file will look like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" [...]
    <dict>
    <key>Kernel Flags</key>
    <string></string>
    </dict>

Add the text "mbasd=1" (no quotes, no extra spaces) between <string> and </string>. It should look like the text between the starred lines above. Save and close the file.
    --------------
    For Snow Leopard and earlier:
    In TextEdit create a new document, then copy all the text above into the document. Save it to the Desktop using the name com.apple.Boot.plist and close the document.
    --------------

Finally: Copy the file to /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration and authenticate when asked. Restart, the SuperDrive will now work.

7. mattpreston11 macrumors 6502a

Its guides like this and people like you which make the internet great!

8. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21