Air update this Tuesday!? UPDATED! I was Wrong

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by iDisk, Aug 29, 2010.

  1. iDisk macrumors 6502a


    Jan 2, 2010
    Menlo Park, CA
    Hey ladies and gentlemen (and kids :D ...:rolleyes:) anyway.. I was wrong :(

    Unless Apple is planning on turning my iPad into a hybrid version of the MacBook Air , meaning running OS X or some form of it then I say okay, :)

    If you put the front camera on the device, up the ram to 512MB or 1GB, then have it run a hybrid OS then I'm game.

    But if Apple is waiting for Liquid Metal to form then a different Air, will be waiting until Jan - March for a new Air
  2. gri macrumors 6502a


    Jul 17, 2004
    New York City, aka Big Apple
    Maybe, given the coincidence with Samsung's tablet a day later - but my gut feeling is: Not going to happen. Ships in 24 hrs at the US store
  3. Adidas Addict macrumors 65816

    Adidas Addict

    Sep 9, 2008
    I don't see them doing a minor update on the Air, it will either be a whole new model or nothing at all. If they were planning a simple spec change they would have done it ages ago with the macbook & macbook pro. The only reason the iMac/Mac pro/Macbook Pro & macbook have had silent updates is that they were just spec bumps with no design or major changes, the only time Apple announce computer hardware at an event is when they are bringing something new.
  4. Mr. Savage macrumors regular

    Mr. Savage

    Jun 11, 2010
    I don't think you can read too much into BestBuy inventories. Up here in Canada neither BestBuy nor FutureShop have had very many in stock for about a year now. It's simply a matter of them not needing to stock very many because they don't sell very many.

    Sadly, the only recent update for the Air seems to be that they've swapped spots on the Apple store (2.13 on the left and 1.86 on the right--used to be vice-versa). Didn't think anything of it until I went into my local Apple store and noticed that the display/demo models had also swapped positions.

    Sad that this is what it's come to, I know ;)
  5. GadgetAddict macrumors 6502

    Jul 10, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    Although I really wish I'm wrong, I don't see it happening. This event has been announced as a media event (apple guitar and all) so presenting a new Air would be kind of odd. I'm thinking that a October/November event introducing the much rumored 7" iPad along with a new Air line and iOS on Macs would be more likely.
  6. cmChimera macrumors 68040


    Feb 12, 2010
    To be clear, The MacBook Pro was the same way before it was updated.
  7. Adidas Addict macrumors 65816

    Adidas Addict

    Sep 9, 2008
    You realise new apple computers have been announced in previous years at the annual iPod/Media event right?
  8. GadgetAddict macrumors 6502

    Jul 10, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    I assume you are referring to the iMac and Mac mini update in 2006 but please, enlighten us.
  9. PsyD4Me macrumors 6502a


    Mar 11, 2009
    under your bed
    an update is not coming, because there are always rumors in advance, and considering that the Air needs a moderate upgrade something would have been leaked somewhere....
    Just look at the rest of the apple way in hell an update is coming out of the blue, because that is NOT how you generate demand and $$$
  10. tigres macrumors 68040


    Aug 31, 2007
    Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits

    I remember in 08' the Rev B was announced/released in the fall. I specifically remember this because I was in the middle of replacing my MBP (faulty) for the 3rd time, and Applecare offered me the MBA rev b SSD that had just came out that week. I want to say it was Sept. 08'
  11. mbisson macrumors member

    Nov 19, 2006
    In my heart I would love to see a new MB Air this coming Tuesday but my head and gut both say no. I would be so happy to be proved wrong but I think we will have to wait until October or early next year before the MB Air is updated.

    If Apple has been able to re-engineer the MB Air to include a non intel graphics option, along with a Core i processors then we may see something next month and therefore probably accompanied by revised 13" MB Pros at the same time.

    If this isn't possible then we are going to have to wait until new technology options are available for Apple to engineer the replacement machine and given there doesn't seem to have been many relevant new products lately I guess that means next year is more likely.
  12. mbisson macrumors member

    Nov 19, 2006
    It was October 14th unfortunately. In recent years we have seen the following October Mac Hardware releases:

    09: Mac Mini, iMac, MacBook
    08: MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, 24" Cinema Display

    But 2006 was the last time there were updates in September (iMac & Mac Mini) and these were a week before the Apple media event.

    Based on past history it is therefore extremely unlikely that there will be any September Mac hardware announcements and if there is anything waiting in the wings it will be introduced in October with a probable increase in rumors beforehand.
  13. MrFlynn macrumors member

    Jul 13, 2010
    Good info to be sure. But remember, this machine would have been updated with the Pros if parts were available. Remember that Apple is currently using a Core2Duo "Penryn" design slimmed down to ULV size. But the chip itself is not a standard ULV design. I believe the machine is ready for launch when Intel has the new custom procs ready. My guess is that one of two things is about to happen:

    1. Update to 4 gigs of ram, same SSD option but the 1499 model will get a 250 gig option. GeForce 320M with a faster Core2Duo running 2.26/2.53.

    2. Same as above, but rather then using a core2duo, they will use a slimmed down i3.

    I think we are going to see updates this week. Either Tuesday, or on stage Wednesday. And I put no stock in the 11.6 inch rumors. It will be the same unibody case design.
  14. entatlrg macrumors 68040


    Mar 2, 2009
    Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
    I think you're bang on. As much as I'd like to see a new MBA this week, October is more likely.
  15. mbisson macrumors member

    Nov 19, 2006
    Is that still the case? I know the Rev A used a custom chip but thought the Revs B and C have used the std ULVs part, which had not been released at the time of the MB Air's introduction.

    I'm interested as to whether anyone have a definitive answer to this one as it would make the reading up on CPUs I have doing a bit pointless. I've not paid the MB Air much attention until the past couple of months as I haven't had the need for anything smaller than my MB Pros before.

    I still think September is unlikely as it will draw attention away from whatever is announced on the 1st and a month will not make an iota of difference to Apple.
  16. Scottsdale macrumors 601


    Sep 19, 2008
    I see a major update to the MBA sometime between September and January. I see Apple using the MBA to introduce where the Mac notebooks are headed in the future. It will be a major overhaul, and it will have something for everyone. I am now predicting two models... and I believe we will have low-end MBAs and high-end MBAs that make a lot of people very happy.

    I see ATI discrete GPUs finally making their way into 13" Mac notebooks. Apple believes it should give its customers more than Intel's IGP can provide, at least in a high-end MBA.

    I really believe Low Voltage Core i7, along with 4GB RAM, and a 256 GB SSD will be found in the 13" high-end MBA. This is the update we have been waiting over 16 months for... finally.
  17. stoconnell macrumors 6502

    Mar 22, 2009
    Rockville (Despite REM's plea.)
    I really hope this does come to fruition. I think the MBA deserves a major rethink and redesign to reposition it as a flagship device.

    I saw a piece on engadget that AMD is axing the ATI brand name.
  18. L0s7man macrumors 6502

    Feb 26, 2009
    I really really wish...

    Why not go AMD+ATI (why did they kill ATI brand? Idiots. You said AMD you meant CPU, you said ATI you meant GPU; now it's AMD... AMD what?). Would make it possible to lower the price.

    And then high-end with whatever is the latest and greatest from Intel.

    Anyway, if Mighty Steve thinks we're not ready yet for new MBA, maybe he'll toss us a bone - high res MBP 13".

    Seriously, 1280x800? what's the res on iPhone again? 960xsomething something? Why is MBP stuck with this insanely low 1280x800? MBP 15" got an option for higher res screen (its not that high res, but at least it's better). What is it, year 2000?

    Sigh... I sold my iMac 27" because now I need a portable laptop. And MBA or 13" MBP just don't cut it.

    I'm off to Japan soon and I'll probably get Vaio Z once I'm there. Install OS X on and it should be fine. And get myself another iMac 27" ;-)

    Oh, didn't realize 13" is still stuck with C2D. LOL.
  19. Mr. Savage macrumors regular

    Mr. Savage

    Jun 11, 2010
    I'm with those who are betting on October for reasons that have been mentioned here already, as well as the possibility that Apple may have moved this week's event ahead 2 weeks in order to space out new product introductions (and to keep a healthy buzz around the company heading into the holiday shopping season) that may be due before year's end.

    This week: iPods and maybe iTV (iTunes streaming service too?)

    October: MBA and 7 inch iPad, (and iTV if it doesn't materialize September 1)

    December: $$$
  20. codehead macrumors member

    Sep 29, 2009
    From your mouth to Jobs' ear. ;)
  21. GadgetAddict macrumors 6502

    Jul 10, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
  22. JDB1983 macrumors newbie

    Oct 31, 2009
    Ironically? Do you know that it's ironic when someone uses the word ironic when they don't know how to use it properly?
  23. macbook123 macrumors 68000

    Feb 11, 2006
    I have two questions:

    1) Will a Sandy Bridge platform have similar dimensions to a potential i7 platform, so that a potentially redesigned MBA could accommodate the latter for now, and the former once it becomes available in the spring?

    2) Can anybody provide me with a single argument for why there should be a ULV i7 update now when this part has been available for several months?

    If the answer to 1) is no, an imminent update seems very unlikely in the light of 2), i.e. given that there have been no updates of the Air earlier this year.
  24. mbisson macrumors member

    Nov 19, 2006
    1) Don't know

    2) Because as an Intel Chipset has to be used with the Core i processors it wasn't a case of just swapping parts, more involved re-engineering would be required.

    This is potentially evidenced by the 13" MB Pro retaining C2D processors. The 15" and 17" being that much larger probably made it much easier to accommodate the necessary silicon.

    So whilst the MB Air was not updated in April I expect Apple has continued to work on a solution, which allows them to release an updated MB Air using the currently available Core i processors (No guarantee that it will be an i7 they use) and that will be released in October.

    This would probably be introduced alongside an updated 13" MB Pro using a similar solution so that the entire Pro line use the Core i processors.

    Well that's my argument! :)
  25. gman901 macrumors 6502a

    Sep 1, 2007
    Houston, TX
    I am actually relieved that it probably won't be updated! I am very happy with my Windows 7 machine, but I was really contemplating switching back for an updated Air. It was a timing issue for me with my Bday coming up - my wife wants to know what I want which was the Air, but now may be a workout machine.

Share This Page